Need help deciding on new headphones
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Wydz

Head-Fier
just bought an at2035 and a Scarlett 2i2

Thing is I don't own any headphones that have a 1/4" plug or adapter threads on them lol

I have no idea what is good or not for sound staging or mids and that stuff. I'm a complete noob

My budget is about $150, $200 absolute max, and they must be full over ear style

I'm okay to try open since I'll be in my room and have never tried them

Thank you :)

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Is this something you want for recording monitoring? What other headphones do you have ?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 12
There are lots to choose from in that price range for open backs. I think that Soundmagic makes some really nice headphones in that price range. The HP 150's are very good for the price but they are closed but the open HP 200's are still in budget. I have not heard them but if they are as good as the 150's it would be a good choice. There is also the Sennheiser HD-5xx line as many are in your price range also. I have not heard all of them so I'm not the one to say which is better for your application. There are many more I just don't have the experience with them to say.

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Mfaybe check out a Sennheiser HD598 in ivory or an HD598SR. Both have quarter-inch terminations (the SR also has a 3.5 mm jack on a second cable).

Let us know how they work out for you.

I'm really excited, $53 open back headphones that have been/are compared to $200-500 headphones

And I've never used Open Back so this is my first time diving into this sea :beerchug:

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 12
If it's just for voices, the HD598 is a great suggestion. The 558's are a decent budget option as well. If you can find a used version, the X2 might be a good choice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back