Need help deciding on new headphoens/headset for gaming.
Aug 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PureCarnage

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a new headset or pair of headphones for gaming.
I've been heavily browsing the internet looking at different ones, from Sennheiser to Astro to Planetronics, etc. Lots of different opinions on lots of different stuff. (I've even been through Mad Lust Envy's headphone review list.)

I'm thinking I probably want some of the following features:

-Around the ear/over the ear. (Sennheiser PC 350 for example)

-Closed ear cups to reduce background noise, since I tend to play in a noisy environment.

-A built-in mic would be nice, but not by any means essential.

-Good positional accuracy (Since I'm a big FPS fan.)

-Decent sound quality. (I'm willing to compromise this a little for better positional sound.) As far as sound goes, I'd prefer a slightly strong base, since I really dislike a hollow "tinny" sound when it comes to gunshots and such, although I'd obviously be willing to compromise a little for detail accuracy.

-A price range of 100-200$ is preferable, although a little higher wouldn't be undo-able.

-Large head compatibility. I have a big head, and I'm not just saying that. Its an XL or XXL in hat size. Its ginormous.

I'm also not sure what kind of sound card I have tbh. I game on an Alienware M14x R2 laptop. (I know I know, dumb idea, but I needed something I could take with me to college :p) As far as I can find out online, it might be an integrated card with some sort of Creative driver. (Although if someone knows how I can find this stuff out for sure using a diagnostic tool or something, that'd be awesome.)
    If it is an integrated sound card, I'm assuming that means some headphones would need an amp or something to pump out the kind of juice it would need (Which I know diddely about), so if thats the case, advise on an amp to get, and how I would even use one if I had it would be nice. (Heck, a headset that comes with its own USB sound card would be nice.)

As far as headsets go, I'm a total nooby, so use small words if you can, thanks!

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 2
Update: Kimd of leaning toward the Creative Aurauna Live atm. If anyone knows how they would compare to my current headset (Creative Soundblaster Arena surround) that'd be super helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back