Need Help Deciding on Headphones ~$200-300
Aug 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

NickFox

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the headphone world, but I like listening to music. Right now I have Sennhesier HD 203's paired with a Fiio e5 amp (probably unnecessary for the 203s). They aren't bad, but I can tell that they are lacking. I won't go all out and use audiophile terms like I know what I'm talking about, because I really don't. I also have Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 computer speakers and JVC xtreme-xplosives.

I've saved up some money, and am comfortable spending around $200, but I'd have to be really convinced to spend over $300. I'm probably only using these headphones for home use since I don't feel comfortable using anything so expensive for portable use. Maybe if I got some cool looking closed headphones I would consider it, but I'm more concerned about sound quality. Here are the genres I enjoy listening to, in prioritized order: classical, jazz, folk, and sometimes hip-hop or pop. I want the headphones to sound best with the first three, though.

UPDATED

Thanks to help from saxophone and Malveuax, pretty much all of my ideas have changed. I'm now deciding between these, in the order which I think will best fit my needs:
0.5. Senn HD 600: This is a stretch because of the cost. I'm a bit nervous to buy used, but I've seen them go for around $200, so it's possible. But would I need to spend $$ on a nicer amp?
1. HiFiMan HE-300: Looks so cool and gets stellar reviews for the value and sound. But some people comment on a lacking soundstage; would I even be able to notice this with untrained ears?
2. Senn HD 598: FR is much more impressive than HE 300, and has been said to be the 'Jack of all Trades' by a reviewer on head-fi. Everyone comments on its versatility with all genres. 
3. DT 880 pro 250: I don't know much about Beyerdynamics, but both of these get awesome reviews. How would these compare to the two above? Better or worse, in what aspects? I've read about the amazing soundstage of the 880s. 
4. DT 860: same as above, although I'm impressed at how low the FR gets on these. But does that even matter?
-- Just mentioning it, but I considered getting the D2000s. Of course, I'd need to buy used, but man, the reviews are great for these.

My thoughts on amps:
1. Fiio e17. Could this drive the 600s? I think it'd be the best because I could buy the e9 later, and I'd be set for desktop and portable amps forever.
2. Nuforce uDAC2. Most people are saying that this can't drive the 600s. But would it do great with the 598s or HE 300s? 
3. Just a Fiio e9. I still don't see why a DAC is so necessary. 

Please comment on those headphones and my thoughts on the amps. Thanks for your help!

And another update.
Actually, this whole research thing has exhausted me (I have done probably over 40 hours of research and asking questions here to come up with what's above). I might just settle with the HD 598 and either an e9 or e17. I could always buy the other one later. I just don't think that I need a super nice headphone rig as a sophomore in high school who doesn't have that much time to listen to music. Besides, I'm streaming 120 kbps ogg vorbis from spotify and I probably never will upgrade. It's not like I'll be able to get the most out of an HD 600 with that.

Nick

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the headphone world, but I like listening to music. Right now I have Sennhesier HD 203's paired with a Fiio e5 amp (probably unnecessary for the 203s). They aren't bad, but I can tell that they are lacking. I won't go all out and use audiophile terms like I know what I'm talking about, because I really don't. I also have Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 computer speakers and JVC xtreme-xplosives.

I've saved up some money, and am comfortable spending around $200, but I'd have to be really convinced to spend over $300. I'm probably only using these headphones for home use since I don't feel comfortable using anything so expensive for portable use. Maybe if I got some cool looking closed headphones I would consider it, but I'm more concerned about sound quality. Here are the genres I enjoy listening to, in prioritized order: classical, jazz, folk, and sometimes hip-hop or pop. I want the headphones to sound best with the first three, though.

From the dozens and dozens of reviews that I have read, I have come up with this list of possibilities. I'll also tell you a little of what I was thinking about them; please comment on my thoughts.
-Grado SR 225i - Probably the best rated on Amazon out of any of these, but I think that I doubt them because of their looks. Plus, I've never tried a supra-aural headphone; maybe I'd be really uncomfortable. Oh, and I don't really listen to rock, which is what these seem to be the best for. I'm guessing that means they're great for jazz as well, but what about classical?
-Senn HD 555 - Again, I might be biased because of looks. I think these are cool looking. From the reviews I've read, they're a great mid-level headphone, and don't need a really nice amp.
-Senn HD 598 - Not being an audiophile, would I even be able to notice a difference between the 555? Plus, I'd need a better amp, right? But Katun describes these as the Jack of All Trades. He says they have just the right amount of bass and everyone talks about the amazing highs. Looks like these would be the best for my favorite genres; too bad they're the most expensive.
-Senn HD 380 - catsndogs' review has convinced me that these are a great option, and I'm partial towards these more than the AT M50 if I opt for a closed headphone. Why would I want a closed headphone? Well, I really do love deep bass, and with a FR down to 8hz, these would do the job. And my household can get a little noisy at times.
-AT M50 - People rave about the clarity of these, but I wonder if they are overrated (I'm thinking of that one thread talking about this)? 

I have also considered getting IEM's for portable use. Are these good options, and do you have any cheaper recommendations? Also, would I need a portable amp for any of these? Well, I will have that Fiio e5 laying around if I end up buying a desktop amp. 
iGi's
Etymotic HF5
Senn IE7

One last thing, would the Total Airhead be too much for those headphones I've listed above? Although I'm willing to, I'd rather not spend $75 on an amp. Fiio offers the e11 for about $60 on Amazon, last I checked.

I have basically researched so much that I'm afraid to pull the trigger on anything because I might like another one better. I'm a sophomore in high school and I'll be too busy to get a job, so I want to get a pair of headphones that I will enjoy for years. I don't plan on upgrading for a very long time after this purchase, so I don't want to mess up.

Thanks for your help
Nick

When I listen to classical, I like the breadth of the instruments that I am hearing, so I prefer a neutral pair for it. With that in mind:
M 50: V shaped, you probably want something neutral-esque for classical.
225i: Great, vibrant, but they are also bright. Probably not the best for classical
598: Probably the best for classical out of those that you listed
555: I never liked their looks, but I am glad you do. They are pretty decent for what they are, but if I were you, I would rather go for the 598.
380: Haven't heard too much about them, so I can't help you too much.

Other pairs to consider:
SRH 840: I am biased, since I own a pair, but they are flippin amazing for classical. I listen to Mahler through them and my E6 and L9, it sounds like I am actually at an opera house.
DT 880: Out of your price range, but if you can buy a used pair and a used amp, it might work.
D2000: I have heard only good things about it. They are supposedly fine without an amp.

Jazz:
M 50: The bass will pop and the clarinets will sound great. But, it depends on what kind of jazz you listen to. Then again, your E5 might save you.
225i: These would be brilliant for most jazz - the louder and more vibrant it is, the more the better it will sound (think Bitches Brew). Cool jazz and smooth jazz may require your E5.
598: Beautiful. Gorgeous.
555: The 598 will outperform it again.
380: No idea.

Each of the other pairs I mentioned earlier would work great on jazz too.

Folk:
M50: Nope.
225i: I think these would be interesting to listen to. Acoustic folk would be pretty decent, and vocals would pop.
598: Probably would do just fine. Folk is a pretty wide genre in of itself, and I think the 598 is probably the best to deal with that.
555: Again, the 598 will do this better.
380: No idea.

Each of the other pairs I mentioned would be fairly good for folk.

Another pair I would look into is the HD 595. If I were you, I would decide between HD 598, HD 595, SRH 840, D2000, DT 880.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 36
Thanks for the response. I play alto saxophone, by the way! 

I've ruled out the M50s, SR225s, and HD555s based on what you have told me. I wish that you hadn't told me about the D2000s though, the more I read about them, the more I like them; the problem is, they're $320 on Amazon. :frowning2: Also, I'm a little worried about the impedance of 250 on the DT 880s. I realize there is a 32 ohm version, but those are about $100 more than the 250 ohm on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BEYER-DYNAMIC-DT880-Pro-Headphones-Ohms/dp/B001B1QENY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346013793&sr=1-3&keywords=dt+880), so I'd be better off buying a nice amp.

Could you comment on the need of an amp for the 598, 595, D2000, and DT 880 250 ohm version? Like I said, I am comfortable spending around $70 for an amp; I've been eyeing the TAH and e11.

Thanks again.

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I play alto saxophone, by the way! 

I've ruled out the M50s, SR225s, and HD555s based on what you have told me. I wish that you hadn't told me about the D2000s though, the more I read about them, the more I like them; the problem is, they're $320 on Amazon. :frowning2: Also, I'm a little worried about the impedance of 250 on the DT 880s. I realize there is a 32 ohm version, but those are about $100 more than the 250 ohm on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BEYER-DYNAMIC-DT880-Pro-Headphones-Ohms/dp/B001B1QENY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346013793&sr=1-3&keywords=dt+880), so I'd be better off buying a nice amp.

Could you comment on the need of an amp for the 598, 595, D2000, and DT 880 250 ohm version? Like I said, I am comfortable spending around $70 for an amp; I've been eyeing the TAH and e11.

Thanks again.

DT 880: I am saving up for the DT 880 250 ohm and a Fiio E17. From what others have told me, the 80 ohm 880 and the 32 ohm 880 can be run with just an mp3 player. Price is certainly an issue, which is why a used pair may be worth it. You definitely need a DAC or a strong portable for the 250 ohm.

The HD 598 and HD 595 would do well amped. The D2000 would be amazing amped. Again, from what I hear, none of them NEED an amp to drive, but they would be better off amped.

EDIT: Also, I mostly play tenor, but I have a bari and an alto. I love sax.

EDIT: DT 660 might also be an option. They looks sick and are supposedly glorious for classical.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 36
Well, I have decided to buy a Fiio e9 based on a few threads that I've read. I have found a refurbished 598 on Amazon for $181, but I am a little worried about buying refurbished. That's why I'm still considering DT 770 pro 250 ohm and DT 860 32 ohm. I'd love to get D2000s but I'd probably break that little screw everyone talks about, and they're too expensive for me. Although, there are $94 D1100s on Electronics Expo. I'll read more about the 595 since they're the same price new as the 598 refurbished. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:
Heya,

DT880 PRO (250ohm) or HIfiman HE-300 (revision 2) with a Fiio E10

Very best,

Will the E10 be able to support the 250 ohm 880? I was saving up for the E17 under the impression that it would be the cheapest DAC/amp to drive them.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFox

Well, I have decided to buy a Fiio e9 based on a few threads that I've read. I have found a refurbished 598 on Amazon for $181, but I am a little worried about buying refurbished. That's why I'm still considering DT 770 pro 250 ohm and DT 860 32 ohm. I'd love to get D2000s but I'd probably break that little screw everyone talks about, and they're too expensive for me. Although, there are $94 D1100s on Electronics Expo. I'll read more about the 595 since they're the same price new as the 598 refurbished.

Check Amazon's policy with regards to refurbished electronics. Another option is to check the marketplace on these forums. People here take care of their headphones, so if you set up a thread indicating you are buying a pair of HD 598, you might get somewhere. As far as 598 vs 595, here are some threads to look at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/510701/sennheiser-hd-595-vs-598
http://www.head-fi.org/t/548734/sennheiser-hd-595-or-hd-598
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584729/sennheiser-hd-598-or-hd595

Here may be a youtube video worth looking at. I haven't actually watched it, so I cannot attest to its value: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6pZTx77B7s

The DT 880 pro 250 would be a better bet than the 770 pro 250, especially for classical. The DT 860 is underappreciated, and I really do want to get my hands on a pair to see how they are, but they along with the DT 660 seem fantastic for classical.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:
Will the E10 be able to support the 250 ohm 880? I was saving up for the E17 under the impression that it would be the cheapest DAC/amp to drive them.

EDIT:

Check Amazon's policy with regards to refurbished electronics. Another option is to check the marketplace on these forums. People here take care of their headphones, so if you set up a thread indicating you are buying a pair of HD 598, you might get somewhere. As far as 598 vs 595, here are some threads to look at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/510701/sennheiser-hd-595-vs-598
http://www.head-fi.org/t/548734/sennheiser-hd-595-or-hd-598
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584729/sennheiser-hd-598-or-hd595

Here may be a youtube video worth looking at. I haven't actually watched it, so I cannot attest to its value: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6pZTx77B7s

The DT 880 pro 250 would be a better bet than the 770 pro 250, especially for classical. The DT 860 is underappreciated, and I really do want to get my hands on a pair to see how they are, but they along with the DT 660 seem fantastic for classical.

Thanks for all the help, saxophone. I am waiting for a response from the distributor about more details and returns. Maybe I could help you by telling you about the $130 pair of used DT 860s on Amazon. They are distributed by Amazon themselves, and apparently the damage is only cosmetic. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000Y0IPF8/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Quote:
Heya,

DT880 PRO (250ohm) or HIfiman HE-300 (revision 2) with a Fiio E10

Very best,

Wow, I wish you guys would stop throwing new headphones at me that look amazing! I must consider the HE-300 now. Also, you think I'd be better off buying the e10 than the e9? That would save me some money, which is a plus. But from all the threads that I've read on the two, the Fiio e9 is superior. Then again, I won't be buying the e7 or e17 to complement it anytime soon, so should I get the e10 for its DAC? I guess I don't see the point of a DAC; I understand what it does, but does it offer better sound quality than a nicer amp like the e9?

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 36
Hi Nick

I think Mal's suggestion is your best bet.  The DT880 250ohm will be fine out of an E10 + it is a warmish amp which will help the mid-range.  You'll love the cans for comfort as well.  They'll do nicely for your first 3 genres.  Because your budget is somewhat limited - anything else I'd suggest would be out of your pricing range.  The E9 has plenty of power - but no DAC.  Adding a DAC like the E7 would give a somewhat cold and thin presentation (compared to the E10) which wouldn't suit the Beyers IMO.

The only other headphone I'd suggest - and it is only if you could pick one up 2nd hand for the right price - would be the HD600.  But it would put you at the limit of your budget.

The DT880 is a good start - then you can slowly move us as you go.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 36
For your top three genres, the AKG K701 come to mind.  Classical, Jazz & Folk sound great on those.  With the dozen or so full size amps I've tried with those though, I would say you need a powerful and warm amp.  And at your budget, speaker taps, or a vintage receiver's HPO might fit the bill.  (Fair warning: vintage receivers may require repair.)  Moving forward, the HD600 is a "jack of all trades" and can be had for <$200 used on the for sale forum here.  Actually, the K701 can be had for <$200 here too.  While they're both around the same price, the K701 is the more impractical of the two when it comes to finding a suitable amplifier.

The HD600: I might even say I preferred the HD600 to the HD650.  It will run "fine" off your E5.  

I haven't heard any of these lower-end Hifiman phones (the lowest I've gone is HE-5LE), so I can't comment on those.  

I think you can do better with the sources and amplifiers you're considering.  First of all, don't get the E7.  If you're looking for a budget DAC, I can't recommend the ODAC highly enough.  And figure out amplifier after you figure out the headphone depending on it's needs.

To be honest, your $200-300 budget sounds like IEM territory.  You could get away with a full size phone if you play smart, but an IEM might be more practical in the end.  You can walk away with it and it will be done plenty of justice with phones or iPods you might have around.  Some of them might even be faster drivers (more resolution).

Good luck.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:
For your top three genres, the AKG K701 come to mind.  Classical, Jazz & Folk sound great on those.  With the dozen or so full size amps I've tried with those though, I would say you need a powerful and warm amp.  And at your budget, speaker taps, or a vintage receiver's HPO might fit the bill.  (Fair warning: vintage receivers may require repair.)  Moving forward, the HD600 is a "jack of all trades" and can be had for <$200 used on the for sale forum here.  Actually, the K701 can be had for <$200 here too.  While they're both around the same price, the K701 is the more impractical of the two when it comes to finding a suitable amplifier.

The HD600: I might even say I preferred the HD600 to the HD650.  It will run "fine" off your E5.  

I haven't heard any of these lower-end Hifiman phones (the lowest I've gone is HE-5LE), so I can't comment on those.  

I think you can do better with the sources and amplifiers you're considering.  First of all, don't get the E7.  If you're looking for a budget DAC, I can't recommend the ODAC highly enough.  And figure out amplifier after you figure out the headphone depending on it's needs.

To be honest, your $200-300 budget sounds like IEM territory.  You could get away with a full size phone if you play smart, but an IEM might be more practical in the end.  You can walk away with it and it will be done plenty of justice with phones or iPods you might have around.  Some of them might even be faster drivers (more resolution).

Good luck.

So you don't think the e10 is a good option? You guys have both made me seriously consider buying some used HD 600s, but at 300 ohms, I'd better get an amp figured out, first; could the e10 drive these? About the ODAC, is that the $150 one I found? Unfortunately I can't pay that much just on the DAC :frowning2:. I did think about getting IEMs, but I want some good headphones for home use. Maybe I'll get some $60ish IEMs for portable use in the future, although I did notice the convenient price tag of $300 on the GR10s. 

Quote:
Hi Nick

I think Mal's suggestion is your best bet.  The DT880 250ohm will be fine out of an E10 + it is a warmish amp which will help the mid-range.  You'll love the cans for comfort as well.  They'll do nicely for your first 3 genres.  Because your budget is somewhat limited - anything else I'd suggest would be out of your pricing range.  The E9 has plenty of power - but no DAC.  Adding a DAC like the E7 would give a somewhat cold and thin presentation (compared to the E10) which wouldn't suit the Beyers IMO.

The only other headphone I'd suggest - and it is only if you could pick one up 2nd hand for the right price - would be the HD600.  But it would put you at the limit of your budget.

The DT880 is a good start - then you can slowly move us as you go.

So, since you say the e10 can drive the DT 880s, it would be fine on the HD 600? I've looked around and it looks like I could get a pretty good used price. Especially if the e10 will suffice; since it's only $65, I won't have to spend much over $300. I forgot to mention, I am not going to be upgrading for a very long time (several years, at least).

UPDATE
I've read around a little, and most people are saying the e10 is not enough for the HD 600. But does that mean they won't get very loud, or will they just sound like crap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back