Need Help Deciding On Components For My Portable Setup
Jul 1, 2014 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lawson the Jedi

New Head-Fier
After deciding on the Audio-Technica ATH-A900Xs as my headphones of choice, I then realized that my mp3 player (currently a well-used iPod Nano 6th Generation) might need an amp.  So then I went looking for one and found the FiiO E6 portable amp.  Do I really need an amp for this setup, or would my output from the iPod be fine?  Additionally, since my iPod has some issues (namely the volume can't be adjusted without an inline volume control due to broken buttons) should I purchase a mp3 player along the lines of the Clip+?  If so, would it need an amp?

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 6
  After deciding on the Audio-Technica ATH-A900Xs as my headphones of choice, I then realized that my mp3 player (currently a well-used iPod Nano 6th Generation) might need an amp.  So then I went looking for one and found the FiiO E6 portable amp.  Do I really need an amp for this setup, or would my output from the iPod be fine?  Additionally, since my iPod has some issues (namely the volume can't be adjusted without an inline volume control due to broken buttons) should I purchase a mp3 player along the lines of the Clip+?  If so, would it need an amp?

The ATH-A900Xs are very easy to drive, so the iPod Nano should not have a problem driving them.

I would say to go for the Clip Zip (4GB) and add a Micro-SDHC memory card and install the Rockbox firmware.
I ended up replacing my Clip Zip with a Sony E series mp3 player, it cost more, but I liked the larger screen.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 6
  Does the Clip Zip have an advantage over the Clip+ besides showing album art?  I got the impression it was more of a step back otherwise.

I think I originally went for the Zip over the + was for the larger screen.
Otherwise I can not say what makes one better then the other.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 6
Does the Clip Zip have an advantage over the Clip+ besides showing album art?  I got the impression it was more of a step back otherwise.

Supposed to be the same DAC/amp hardware inside, so any differences would be the screen or the controls on the outside. I have both, and I personally think the larger screen is worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back