Need help deciding on a new set of cans
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #16 of 24
Well the cans have shipped, with an expected delivery for tomorrow. I'm excited!

I found my old Fiio E5 which has been sitting around untouched for several months, and while I was able to charge it up no problem, it seems completely bugged out. The sound is terrible (low quality, lots of clipping above 75% volume), if I can even get sound at all. It will bounce between stereo and just the left channel, or just no output at all. So I thought maybe the cable was the issue. Tried with a couple other cables - same problems. On top of all that, it was even causing my phone to glitch during playback! I was able to test all 3 cables between my computer's soundcard and phone, and they're working just fine. So I'm not sure what exactly is going on with the E5, but I'm not too worried about it. I've had it for about 4 years and it only cost me $20, so I got my moneys worth out of it.

Long story short, I compared the Fiio E07K to the E11. The DAC feature isn't too important to me at the moment, so I decided to order an E11 along with the L2 cable (my other 3 aren't anything special, so I figured this was worth the few extra bucks). Scheduled delivery is Friday. It should hold me off for a little while until I get a new DAP. From there, I can either sell it, or keep it as a backup. Undecided yet...

I'm also thinking of maybe saving some cash and getting a Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip which I could Rockbox, rather than getting the X5. Maybe I'm a little crazy, as I'm sure the X5 will be a world of difference.

How much sound quality difference would really be noticeable between the Sansa + E11 compared to an unamped X5? I already have a 64GB class 10 microSDXC with all my music on it, so I'm also having concerns about compatibility with the Sansa's. It would definitely be a sensible solution on my wallet, but SQ is important to me as well. Any input?

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #17 of 24
There is barely anyone who have tested the X5 but from specs, they have great DAC and I am not sure about the amp. If you do not wish to spend that much money on a DAP, wait for the X1. It will cost less than or around $100. It will be using WM8740 DAC and the amp output power at 32Ohm is 100mW. Enough to drive everything sufficiently but given you have ordered the E11, X1 + E11 should be able to serve you well :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #18 of 24
Well the day has come and my K550's arrived. First impressions in one word: Wow!

Not even burned in and they already blow my Sony V700's out of the water (not like I expected any less). The sound signature and clarity is quite impressive. I'll be honest, the soundstage isn't as wide as I was expecting, given all I've read about that one detail, but still wider than most (if not all) other closed-backs I've heard. I'm still quite happy with the overall sound though, and I'm sure the E11 will make a noticeable improvement, especially once the cans are burnt in. I've only been able to listen to them with my phone thus far, and I can definitely feel like they need more power to bring out the lows. Like I said before, I'm not a basshead, but it sounds like it's barely even there. I'll try them with my computer later.

As far as a portable source is concerned, I'm still on the fence. The X1 seems like it might be sufficient along with the E11, but I'm still leaning towards the X5. The design, perceived build quality, UI, and internals seem perfect. I'm honestly not too impressed with the iBasso's or Cowon's, and I know Fiio has often been praised for their price to performance ratio. I was happy with the E5 as long as it lasted, and I'm sure I'll have a great relationship with the E11. At this point, it almost seems like I'm destined to get the X5 lol

I've looked more into the Clip+ and Clip Zen. For the price, I might just get one anyway. Seems like a steal to Rockbox at $40. The real question is whether I want a slightly bigger screen or better controls. Otherwise, I'm under the impression that they're both quite similar.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 24
Well the day has come and my K550's arrived. First impressions in one word: Wow!

Not even burned in and they already blow my Sony V700's out of the water (not like I expected any less). The sound signature and clarity is quite impressive. I'll be honest, the soundstage isn't as wide as I was expecting, given all I've read about that one detail, but still wider than most (if not all) other closed-backs I've heard. I'm still quite happy with the overall sound though, and I'm sure the E11 will make a noticeable improvement, especially once the cans are burnt in. I've only been able to listen to them with my phone thus far, and I can definitely feel like they need more power to bring out the lows. Like I said before, I'm not a basshead, but it sounds like it's barely even there. I'll try them with my computer later.

As far as a portable source is concerned, I'm still on the fence. The X1 seems like it might be sufficient along with the E11, but I'm still leaning towards the X5. The design, perceived build quality, UI, and internals seem perfect. I'm honestly not too impressed with the iBasso's or Cowon's, and I know Fiio has often been praised for their price to performance ratio. I was happy with the E5 as long as it lasted, and I'm sure I'll have a great relationship with the E11. At this point, it almost seems like I'm destined to get the X5 lol

I've looked more into the Clip+ and Clip Zen. For the price, I might just get one anyway. Seems like a steal to Rockbox at $40. The real question is whether I want a slightly bigger screen or better controls. Otherwise, I'm under the impression that they're both quite similar.

Good to know you like the K550! Enjoy them :D the E11 have a built in bass boost, switch it on if you wish to have more bass! 

Happy listening!
Billson :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 24
Thanks! I've been listening for the last couple hours. Soundstage is starting to shine through. I heard subtle details in Matthew Good's "White Light Rock & Roll Review" that I never heard before. :D The album is about 10 years old, but was recorded using techniques from the 60's and 70's for that raw, almost gritty sound. It was beautiful to listen to! I'll have to re-rip it in FLAC to see if I can find more minor details (currently 320kbps MP3). I can see plenty of hours ahead of myself to enjoy even more.

Thanks Billson for the recommendation :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #21 of 24
Thanks! I've been listening for the last couple hours. Soundstage is starting to shine through. I heard subtle details in Matthew Good's "White Light Rock & Roll Review" that I never heard before.
biggrin.gif
The album is about 10 years old, but was recorded using techniques from the 60's and 70's for that raw, almost gritty sound. It was beautiful to listen to! I'll have to re-rip it in FLAC to see if I can find more minor details (currently 320kbps MP3). I can see plenty of hours ahead of myself to enjoy even more.

Thanks Billson for the recommendation
smily_headphones1.gif

Your welcome! :D

FYI, converting from MP3 to FLAC is of useless. You will never get the full FLAC experience, but that's what I have found through my self conducted-test :) In fact, the AKG K550 is pretty forgiving 

Billson 

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #22 of 24
Is that so? I have that original CD, along with hundreds of others. Few years ago, I spent weeks ripping them all to 320kbps mp3 with EAC, but I've considered re-doing them all in FLAC. Is the difference really not that noticeable? I'll admit, they sound pretty good the way they are, but I'm seeking perfection. If I want to conduct my own sound tests, what kind of music would best to listen for imperfections caused by compression? What kind of frequencies might be clipped? I'm assuming the highest highs and lowest lows, but honestly, I'm not exactly sure how the compression really works. For what it's worth, I do notice the imperfections in as much as 192kbps, and even 256kbps with the odd track (through rare).

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #23 of 24
Is that so? I have that original CD, along with hundreds of others. Few years ago, I spent weeks ripping them all to 320kbps mp3 with EAC, but I've considered re-doing them all in FLAC. Is the difference really not that noticeable? I'll admit, they sound pretty good the way they are, but I'm seeking perfection. If I want to conduct my own sound tests, what kind of music would best to listen for imperfections caused by compression? What kind of frequencies might be clipped? I'm assuming the highest highs and lowest lows, but honestly, I'm not exactly sure how the compression really works. For what it's worth, I do notice the imperfections in as much as 192kbps, and even 256kbps with the odd track (through rare).

If you are converting from MP3 to FLAC, it will not work. However, if you rip from your CD to FLAC, it will work. IMO, the AKG K550 won't benefit that much with better file but so slightly improvement with FLAC compared to MP3. Definitely worth a try if you have the time :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #24 of 24

do you mean x3, x1 is a headphone. It will pair really well with the x3. That is why I recommended the k545 because it sounds as stunning (better bass and mids) but is portable with better isolation. The x3 or x5 will make a great match with your k550 and the analog bass adjustments and power will do wonders with the k550. 

Your welcome! :D

FYI, converting from MP3 to FLAC is of useless. You will never get the full FLAC experience, but that's what I have found through my self conducted-test :) In fact, the AKG K550 is pretty forgiving 

Billson 

+1 also hearing a difference in detail with freshly ripped mp3 320's or FLAC isn't proven and in blind test usually people can't tell the difference with portable gear even high end portable gear. 

FlAC is beneficial for High resolution music and not losing song information during transfer. The only time I have ever heard a difference was with studio monitors. The people that claim a difference can't prove it and prob haven't done a blind test. mp3 320 is fine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back