Need help deciding on a closed circumaural pair of headphones
Jan 12, 2005 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Disiskurt

500+ Head-Fier
I've been looking for closed circumaural headphones around the $100+ range since I've been growing really tired of my $30 Aiwa's purchased at the local Best Buy. Before finding this forum, the most I've looked at is Headroom and Amazon reviews, and it seemed that the Senn HD280s were really popular (besides headband cracking issues.) I got a pair for Christmas, and while the overall quality and detail easily blew away my previous pair, I found them to be very uncomfortable (which I then decided was a very important issue,) and the overly bright highs made them very tedious to listen to for more than 20 minutes or so. I know that I didn't give them the appropriate amount of burn-in, but I'm pretty sure that these won't be what I'm looking for in a headphone. I plan on returning them to Amazon in a couple of days.

I'm going away to college this fall, so I find the closed aspect to be very important so I don't bother those around me and vice-versa. Also, comfort is key, since I listen to music on my comp for long periods of time. A pleasurable sound, which I couldn't find for that 280s, is also a point of need. I'm not interested in paying more that $250 (even that's really pushing it for me, since I'm 18 and have been out of work for a year.) I could buy an amp later on if a good headphone would sound even better with it, but it should be able to hold it's own as well.

Since being shot down by the 280s, the most my research has led me to is the Beyer 250-80s, which is supposedly very comfortable and pretty good for sound. That is, until I started reading posts on this forum...where the ATH A900s are apparently held in very high regard. I seemed set on getting these, despite the higher price and my relative frugality, until I've seen that many find this supposed "flavor of the month" to be overrated (overly recessed mids seems like a common knock.) Now that I see that it's status is relatively debated, I'm not so sure about them (and since there really isn't much course for returning the things to Japan if I don't like them.)

I typically listen to underground hip-hop (not the super bassy crap you hear with mainstream artists,) although I dabble in other genres as well. I'll probably listen to more and more music if I like my headphones enough anyway, so I guess I want something that would sound good across all (or most) genres. I'm just saying so that I'm not pointed to a phone best used for listening to classical.

A list of my current considerations:
Senn 280 (eh....if there's really nothing better)
Beyer 250-80
AT A900
A700 (heard differences between 500 and 900, but not much on 700 and 900, any input?)
A500
AKG 271S
Koss Pro 4AA (???)

Any preferences among those headphones, or another suggestion?

Also, I'm currently playing my music off of my sister's old laptop with its probably lousy "SoundMAX Digital Audio" sound card. I'll be getting a computer soon enough, and a quick recommendation for a good card used primarily for music listening (and not gaming) would be appreciated.

I'm sorry for making this so damn long, but I'm afraid to leave anything out. Thanks very much in advance for any help given.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 26
Believe me, I've read a ton of stuff already on this subject, but I just want some input on what would be best for my situation. Sorry if this topic seems to look redundant.

Jan 13, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 26
The 271s sounds great for your tastes/situation. I would have recommended the HD280 Pro, but if you find it uncomfortable, then it's not suitable for you.

Jan 13, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 26
I haven't had good experience with canalphones, the only ones I've tried were Koss's The Plug, and the fit was terrible. I'd be lying if I sadi that I hadn't considered canalphones though. I do like to be able to put on/take off the phones easily though, so I'm certainly leaning towards circumaurals.

I don't need a ton of isolation, especially since greater isolation tends to lead to a stronger, more uncomfortable grip to your head (outside of canalphones.) I found the HD280s to have great isolation, but the comfort really drew me away from them. Obviously, I'd like pretty decent isolation, otherwise I'd go with open, but not at the expense of a killer grip.

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 26
The DT250-80's are a good all around headphone. Definitely on the warmer side, IMO. I tried the HD280's and hated them too; the DT250 is more comfortable (no vice-like grip; comfy ear pads; fairly lightweight) and has better bass. You can find it for about 145 on amazon and BH photo.
It's also pretty easy to drive.

Hope this helps

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Have a read of the monstor closed can review in my sig, and maybe my site that has a link down there too. Short answer: A500/A900 depending on your budget.

What do you think about the claim the that mids are too recessed? This appears to be the main knock on them.

I read the review, very informative. Strange how the 271S sounded veiled for you, since they seem to be held pretty high. I keep getting swayed from one side to the other.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
What do you think about the claim the that mids are too recessed? This appears to be the main knock on them.

I read the review, very informative. Strange how the 271S sounded veiled for you, since they seem to be held pretty high. I keep getting swayed from one side to the other.

I have no problem with the mids. If I EQ the A900s, I jack up the bass and the treble and leave the mids alone, which indicates that to my ears the mids are fine.

This might be useful to you as well.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 26
i was very happy with my a900's, which i got after a pair of 225's. given they're for different situations (a900's to block sound when it gets noisy, 225's because i think they sound better), i don't become occupied with drastic change in sound quality. both have their respective signatures, but i find both to be of equally high quality. you'll be more than impressed by their sound, especially stepping up from the hd280's, which i personally hated as well, partially because i was confused why some actually like the cans, they just sounded tinny to me.

but the a900's have strong bass that some consider "bloomy," but i like their presence. the build is also solid, and the cans are damn comfortable. they're just big, which i don't care about, but you might. my roommate says i look like the napster cat thingie.

basically all i'm trying to say is, don't rule out the a900's yet just because they're "overrated." they're solid cans.

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

A700 (heard differences between 500 and 900, but not much on 700 and 900, any input?)

Not sure if it's helpful to you, but I wrote an a700 review here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88115

In that thread, I also added a comparison between the a700 & a900. I think they're both good headphones...I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of 'em. They'll both do pretty good without an amp too.

I also own the 280 pros & have listened some to the a500. If it's my $$, I'd go for the a900's. Haven't heard the 271's yet though...

Peace,

Graz

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

I found them to be very uncomfortable (which I then decided was a very important issue,) and the overly bright highs made them very tedious to listen to for more than 20 minutes or so.

271s seem to fit your needs - good details, not overly bright, decent bass and wonderful mids, as long as you don't compare them to open cans =)

ATs are said to be easier to drive though, and I'm not sure if 271s are more comfortable than circumaural senns. I'd suggest hd25 but those pleathers can get unbearable for long period - maybe with velour hd25 can get as comfortable as circumaural phones.

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
271s seem to fit your needs - good details, not overly bright, decent bass and wonderful mids, as long as you don't compare them to open cans =)

ATs are said to be easier to drive though, and I'm not sure if 271s are more comfortable than circumaural senns. I'd suggest hd25 but those pleathers can get unbearable for long period - maybe with velour hd25 can get as comfortable as circumaural phones.

I agree - the 271 mids are stronger than the A900, but the treble leaves something to be desired.

Comfort wise, i'd say Senn 600 < A900 < AKG 271. Open obviously won't get as warm, but A900s aren't too bad as closed cans go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back