Need help deciding headphones for TRANCE (<$100 budget)
Dec 6, 2008 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ah-see

New Head-Fier
Hey whats up guys, i need some help deciding which headphones i want because there are too many options right now.

I will be listening to music on my pc at home with these headphones.
I don't have a sound card for my pc (on-board)
Listen to trance only (think Armin Van Buuren, Markus Schulz, Above & Beyond etc.)
<$100USD budget = <$200AUD budget
Won't be using an amp with these headphones
No preference on closed or open, i just want them to be fairly comfortable
I have a pair of future sonic atrio IEM's and i like the dark sound signature of these.

I've come up with a list of possible headphones that fit the budget, so just let me know which headphones would fit my requirements above:

Grado SR80
Audio Technica AD700
JVC HAR-X900
JVC HAR-X700
Denon AH-D1001
Sennheiser HD280
Audio technica ATH-A700
Audio technica ATH-ES7
Equation Audio RP21
M-audio Q40
Sennheiser HD555

If theres something not on this list that fits the bill, please let me know
Thanks for the help guys!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 36
I would lean towards the Q40, HD280, and D1001 right off the bat, ignore the HD555, and add the Audio-Technica A500 to the list

with no amp, strike the HD280's unless you hate emotions
if you like it dark, go with the D1001, as its relatively dark from memory, forget quite how the Q40 compares to it (I know both sound good, and I know I would prefer to own the Q40, however I don't remember exactly what the Q40 did/does that the D1000/1 didn't do)

if only the DT770's were still $130 on amazon.....

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, too bad. I'm sure the OP would have appreciated you kicking in the extra $30 to help buy it.

for $30 over budget, they'd be a steal, even if a bit of a strech

and just a bit of an odd thought, DT 440/660? (I personally have no idea, maybe someone else does?)

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 36
Thanks for the help guys, its helped me to cross a few phones off the list. Thanks for the recommendations as well, i'll do some research on those phones.

Keep it coming guys
popcorn.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by baneat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandro MS-1s, They are right in budget, no shipping costs, sound fantastic and extremely comfortable :p

Do the MS-1's sound good with trance?

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 36
the MS-1's are a Grado product, now I can listen to my SR-225's with trance for about an hour, but you really want some lower LF extension that simply isn't there, I can't directly comment on the Alessandro, but I know from the majority of the Grado line, trance will leave you wanting more bass, they might work for you, however I think I could say for the majority of people, they might not

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the MS-1's are a Grado product, now I can listen to my SR-225's with trance for about an hour, but you really want some lower LF extension that simply isn't there, I can't directly comment on the Alessandro, but I know from the majority of the Grado line, trance will leave you wanting more bass, they might work for you, however I think I could say for the majority of people, they might not

From what i've read about the grados they did seem to be lacking a bit in the bass which is quite an important factor for me, so i've crossed those off the list

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another $50 you can get a nice Ultrasone HFI550/Pro/Proline DJ1

I tried looking for a decent price on these and they're just too far over my budget. I live in Australia and the exchange rate right now is horrible and when you include shipping it makes things silly. The ultrasones do look nice though.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah-see /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I tried looking for a decent price on these and they're just too far over my budget. I live in Australia and the exchange rate right now is horrible and when you include shipping it makes things silly. The ultrasones do look nice though.

Maybe ebay...
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 36
If you can find them 'around' your budget I'd recommend Goldring or Ultrasone for trance.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe ebay...
wink.gif

I've tried ebay already, but shipping is around $30-$40USD and converts to $50-$65AUD. The ultrasone HFI-550's are also $120USD which is already over my budget. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I've been looking very closely at the audio technica ATH-M50 and the m-audio Q40. Does anyone with experience with either phones think that these are good for trance? I've read that these phones are pretty bassy and i think that is pretty important for trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back