Need help deciding headphones for around $200
Jul 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:
I've seen a lot of good reviews on both the A900X and AD900X (open ver.). The A900X has some complaints on comfort because of the weight. What do you think about this?

To me the A900X is not a "heavy" headphone, I would guess my Beyerdynamic are heavier then the A900X.
The A900X wings are not the greatest for holding up the A900X, when I first got the A900X, the cups would slide down and the cups would rest on top of my ears,
the wings need to be "trained" a little to get them to work right, now the A900X seems to stay in place.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #18 of 27
But you said that the comfort on the A900X was better than the m50's, and I doubt with that much fame their comfort can be that bad. I think I'm not understanding something here...

On average, the A900X should be more comfortable than the M50s to most people. Larger cup but fairly light for their size--more room for your ears and less likely to heat up your ears. Less clamping force.

Still, everyone's head and ear shape and size are different, and even a fairly comfortable headphone that suits most people could easily be uncomfortable to some. In the case of the A900X, some people have found that the wing system doesn't have enough clamping force to keep the cups firmly on their head. Purple Angel, who has previously posted in this thread, has offered a solution for that in other discussions.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
On average, the A900X should be more comfortable than the M50s to most people. Larger cup but fairly light for their size--more room for your ears and less likely to heat up your ears. Less clamping force.

Still, everyone's head and ear shape and size are different, and even a fairly comfortable headphone that suits most people could easily be uncomfortable to some. In the case of the A900X, some people have found that the wing system doesn't have enough clamping force to keep the cups firmly on their head. Purple Angel, who has previously posted in this thread, has offered a solution for that in other discussions.

Yup. Exactly. You can also add a rubber band to make the wing support tighter, so that it stays on your head better. I did that to AD700.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #20 of 27
Yeah I saw a picture of that a while back. I think it may have been from PurpleAngel. There was another using a shoe lace. I remember thinking "Wow! What a simple yet effective fix!" Seems everyone's all saying A900X or AD900X but are there perhaps any headphones I should look into that I didn't name? I've been thinking about getting a Fiio e6 (cheaping out on the amp in order to put more toward the headphones) to power higher impedance headphones or possibly EQ some that are lacking in certain areas (i.e. increasing bass on akg k550 or Q701)

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
Yeah I saw a picture of that a while back. I think it may have been from PurpleAngel. There was another using a shoe lace. I remember thinking "Wow! What a simple yet effective fix!" Seems everyone's all saying A900X or AD900X but are there perhaps any headphones I should look into that I didn't name? I've been thinking about getting a Fiio e6 (cheaping out on the amp in order to put more toward the headphones) to power higher impedance headphones or possibly EQ some that are lacking in certain areas (i.e. increasing bass on akg k550 or Q701)

The ATH-A900X and ATH-AD900X have dropped about $60 in price lately (at least from when I bought my A900X)
And they are only 38-Ohm, so easy to work with any headphone jack.
Audio Technica seems to have taken a few parts from their A1000X headphones to update the 900 series

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #22 of 27
I got the chance to look around a bit more and now the beyerdynamic dt 770(80ohm) and dt 990 premium (32ohm) have caught my attention. For EDM, rock, and classical, how do you guy's think those would compare to the ad900x or a900x?

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
I got the chance to look around a bit more and now the beyerdynamic dt 770(80ohm) and dt 990 premium (32ohm) have caught my attention. For EDM, rock, and classical, how do you guy's think those would compare to the ad900x or a900x?

I own the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, fairly good headphone (bassy), but the ATH 900X series would have better detail.
What's the price of the DT990 Premium 32-Ohm?

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #25 of 27
I own the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, fairly good headphone (bassy), but the ATH 900X series would have better detail.
What's the price of the DT990 Premium 32-Ohm?

They're just above my 200 dollar budget by around 20 bucks. I'm leaning toward the dt990 premiums as they offer a 32 ohm version for that price considering I don't have an amp of any sort.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
They're just above my 200 dollar budget by around 20 bucks. I'm leaning toward the dt990 premiums as they offer a 32 ohm version for that price considering I don't have an amp of any sort.

The DT990 Premium 32-Ohm might need a little amping to sound their best.
Here is a link with great info on the DT770/DT880/DT990.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back