Need help deciding headphones (budget around $300)
Jul 1, 2013 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sam Powie

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the world of headphones, as I primarily use iems. But I feel it is time to venture beyond my good ol westone um3x.

My budget is around $300. I listen mostly to metal and rock music, and use my ipod or computer to play my music.
I haven't got an amp, but I am open to purchasing one. I also prefer a pair of headphone that is somewhat portable as I may want to carry it around, but sound quality and comfort is of greater importance.

The iems I own are fairly neutral, so I am interested in a pair of headphones with more grunt and sound more exciting and lively. I live in the middle of nowhere so I have limited opportunities to actually test them myself, but from the forum these ones have caught my interest:

Beyerdynamic Tesla DT1350, reviews suggest they are a tad uncomfortable, and I wear glasses as well
Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 598: how clearly can people around me hear open back headphones, because I might occasionaly use them in public, and is an amp a must?
Shure SRH840: 
Sony MDR7509HD:

Well any further suggestions and advice is most appreciated.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hi, I'm new to the world of headphones, as I primarily use iems. But I feel it is time to venture beyond my good ol westone um3x.

My budget is around $300. I listen mostly to metal and rock music, and use my ipod or computer to play my music.
I haven't got an amp, but I am open to purchasing one. I also prefer a pair of headphone that is somewhat portable as I may want to carry it around, but sound quality and comfort is of greater importance.

The iems I own are fairly neutral, so I am interested in a pair of headphones with more grunt and sound more exciting and lively. I live in the middle of nowhere so I have limited opportunities to actually test them myself, but from the forum these ones have caught my interest:

Beyerdynamic Tesla DT1350, reviews suggest they are a tad uncomfortable, and I wear glasses as well
Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 598: how clearly can people around me hear open back headphones, because I might occasionaly use them in public, and is an amp a must?
Shure SRH840: 
Sony MDR7509HD:

Well any further suggestions and advice is most appreciated.

If you take ur headphones off and hold them open (don't let the cups seal on each other) that about how loud they will be, maybe a little louder, the other issue is you will be able to head everything.

I'd say only the HD600's would NEED an amp.

What about the Sennheiser HD25-I-II's or Amperiors? Or V-Moda M80/M100's?

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 6
Well the Sennheiser HD25-I-II's and Amperiors are on ears, and I was generally under the impression that on ear headphones are significantly less comfortable and have a lower sound quality. Also are the Vmoda M100's any good?

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Well the Sennheiser HD25-I-II's and Amperiors are on ears, and I was generally under the impression that on ear headphones are significantly less comfortable and have a lower sound quality. Also are the Vmoda M100's any good?

Well you were looking at the DT1350's which are on ear, I wouldn't say they don't sound as good... I mean yes the DT1350's don't sound as good as the T70 or T1/5p due to the small housing enclosure but those are also double the price of the DT1350 so against $300 headphones sure somepeople say the Sony MDR-1R and the Momentums would sound better but others would like the 1350's so it's a toss up, and there is a big following for the HD25's for rock and metal.

I would suggest the Momentum's for an all around headphone but for just rock and metal (what I listen to also with a little dubstep/acustic mixed in) might be a little to laid back in the high's but other wise should be good but it is also $350.

I have heard the K550's, Momentums, Denon D600's, M80's and Shure SRH840s but not the M100's or HD25's

The 840's would be good for rock and metal but I found them bass light next to my other headphones and they are top heavy and fell off my head a lot.

The M100's have more bass and highs than the momentums but also less mid's and less detail but if your a bass head you might like it more, they also fold up.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

My budget is around $300. I listen mostly to metal and rock music, and use my iPod or computer to play my music.

Shure SRH840: 
Sony MDR7509HD:

As the headphones are going to be used with an iPod, try to get headphones that are not more then 40-Ohm (maybe 60-Ohm) and you should be able to use the headphones with the iPod, without needing to get a separate headphone amplifier.

Adding a Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card to the PC should improve the audio quality of whatever headphones you use with the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back