Need help deciding between headphones for metal.
Dec 23, 2008 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kjettar

New Head-Fier
Hello, i am a new member at Head-Fi.

I am pretty new to headphones and i am looking to buy new headphones. I listen to Black Metal mainly, with Sognametal (melodic black metal) and some Death Metal. This is a sample of what i listen : YouTube - 1349-I Am Abomination

Due to budget constraints, i have narrowed to 2 headphones. I wanted to get Koss PortaPro, but living in Canada, i can't find it locally and i will get killed on shipping (which will rise the prise of PortaPros to about 80$).

I am considering Sennheiser PX-100 and Alessandro MS-1's (i am ready to jump into this price category if it is worth it).

I am reading that PX-100 has amazing value. I am not sure how good it is for agressive Black Metal.

Dash recommended me Alessandro MS-1's. I know they are better than PX-100, but how much? Is it worth paying 50$ for someone on a tight budget to get Alessandros?

Finally, i live in Canada. No Grados for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
o2smile.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjettar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dash recommended me Alessandro MS-1's. I know they are better than PX-100, but how much? Is it worth paying 50$ for someone on a tight budget to get Alessandros?

They are like a zillion times better than the PX-100. The PX-100 is nothing more than a decent value for money, and is nowhere close to being a giant killer (in fact compared to the KSC75 I don't think you can consider the PX-100 to be a decent value for money). The MS1 easily beats it when it comes to the performance/cost ratio. At the bare minimal I'll recommend the MS1, the MS1 does more than a decent job.

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 7
The super.fi 5 pro's are supposed to be good for metal, which is why I'm getting a pair. They may be a bit out of your price range though, about $150-200.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The super.fi 5 pro's are supposed to be good for metal, which is why I'm getting a pair. They may be a bit out of your price range though, about $150-200.

Nope, they are not good metal phones. Too much bass, yet not enough impact.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 7
can't comment on the MS1, but the px100 is great for metal. they have excellent low end for all that double bass, slightly rececced mids and clear non fatiguing highs. Very easy to drive, so it should sound good out of any source.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 7
Audio-Technica ATH-ES7, or if you have the cash, ESW9.

Both are real good for rock and metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back