Need help: Could Someone re-cable my im716?
Oct 30, 2008 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I haven't been able to use my im716 for a while because my cat decided to chew on the cable above the y-split. I was wondering if anyone could re-cable these phones with the cable from some iBuds. I have some lying around, and I would love to get my im716 functioning again.

If anyone can help or knows of someone that offers this service I'd greatly appreciate it. It would be even better if I could get the 47 ohm resistors added as well, since the pod is going to be removed. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks, CK

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Well I just got my SoundMagic PL30 in the mail, so at least I have some IEM-type phones to hold me over. I would still love to get my im716 fixed, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks, CK

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 7
There's a guide somewhere around here on getting rid of the pod, I am sure if you take a look you might find it isn't as hard is you think. For a $80-100 set of phones, trying to send them to someone else to fix them seems like more hassle than its worth - youve got plenty of tries to mess up, so start tinkering. I had two sets of sony earbuds, one white one black, on one only the left worked and on the other only the right worked - I ripped the working right one out of the black set and managed to hook it up to the cables of the white set and have it work. Of course, I didn't do it neatly so theres a big mess at the connection, but hey, it worked.

Oct 31, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 7
The issue is that I assume soldering is involved, something I have no experience with. Another problem is indeed the cost of fixing such inexpensive phones. Maybe I will just try and sell the phones "as is" and let someone else try their hand at repairing them. I'm still open to advice...

Oct 31, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am interested if you decide to sell it.

I am interested as well.

I could also try to re-cable them for you, but I can't guarantee success as there is always a risk of damaging something when you open them up and solder near the drivers. I got a few blemishes on mine.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 7
Sorry to partially hijack thread, but I have some CK7's with only one earphone working due to dogy cable connection at the plug (if I play with the cable near the plug I can get sound out of both)

I'm not too bothered if I can't fix them, because I'll be getting new phones soon, and I have some old CX300's to fall back on, but I wouldn't want to discard them without giving them another chance
smile_phones.gif

Are there any basic guides for recabling with iBud cables etc. that I could use? Or is anyone interested in buying them that has more experience with recabling.

I'm pretty sure these could be easily fixed, and there was no problem with them before the cable issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back