Need Help Cooling Amp
Oct 6, 2015 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Koukol

1000+ Head-Fier
I have the Little Dot MK III Tube Amp which gets very hot.
I want to place it on a CD Player for bedside listening but trying this last night kicked in some serious fan action from my CD player...it got too hot.

Does anyone know what I can do to keep the Amp from over-heating my player?

I was considering some insulation from a home repair shop, laptop cooler or just a mini fan.

Anyone here come across this problem and solved it?

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to place it on a CD Player for bedside listening but trying this last night kicked in some serious fan action from my CD player...it got too hot.

I was considering some insulation from a home repair shop, laptop cooler or just a mini fan.

As long as you have air moving through there, as opposed to for example putting them both in a enclosed space, the heat from the tubes isn't likely to affect the player. The laptop cooler or the minifan will likely just add noise, you might as well use a fan that can also cool you. As long as the wind doesn't hit the headphones it might actually be less perceivable (barring industrial fans), since smaller fans tend to produce higher frequency noise. the wrong USB fan can have a whistling sound instead of a hair-dryer like whoosh.

I had the MkII before and I set it on top of my Marantz CD60, no problems regarding heat and ambient temp. We can get as high as 32degC on what counts as a good day (during dry season when we get up to 40deg C I'd sweat all over the earpads that I don't bother with headphones at all). I actually touched the Marantz right where the amp had been for an hour and it was barely warmer than the room or the rest of the CDP.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As long as you have air moving through there, as opposed to for example putting them both in a enclosed space, the heat from the tubes isn't likely to affect the player. The laptop cooler or the minifan will likely just add noise, you might as well use a fan that can also cool you. As long as the wind doesn't hit the headphones it might actually be less perceivable (barring industrial fans), since smaller fans tend to produce higher frequency noise. the wrong USB fan can have a whistling sound instead of a hair-dryer like whoosh.

I had the MkII before and I set it on top of my Marantz CD60, no problems regarding heat and ambient temp. We can get as high as 32degC on what counts as a good day (during dry season when we get up to 40deg C I'd sweat all over the earpads that I don't bother with headphones at all). I actually touched the Marantz right where the amp had been for an hour and it was barely warmer than the room or the rest of the CDP.

Thanks, Protege.

I just discovered my Oppo runs a some what noisy fan even when the Amp is off so I'm not as concerned now.
I just never had the player next to my head so I didn't notice it before.
I decided a simple cooling rack for baked goods will help keep them apart.
Cheers!

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 5

I decided a simple cooling rack for baked goods will help keep them apart.

Mind the feet on those if they aren't padded, you might scratch the player.

Yeah I'm so concerned for the Oppo 95 I bought some of that rubber lining you'd put under a utensil tray.
Now that I think of it I better get the rack before the amp melts the lining onto my player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back