need help convincing better half
Jun 25, 2002 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rex545

New Head-Fier
hi all...
i am having alot of trouble convincing my wife that er-4p are worth the $$$ are there any women or wifes that enjoy these canal phones??? maybe if i come at it from a womens point of view i will be able to get these bad boys
biggrin.gif

thanks in advance=)
look forward to the replys

Jun 25, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 16
Take her on a trip. Just do something for "her." Give her attention. Treat her well. Make it special for "her."

I have a Corda amp and Sennheiser 600's coming. I need to take my advice too. She's not into "things" like me, but she'd like special attention. Maybe we could go to a day spa together. Whatever it is, we need to do it together.

Michael

Jun 25, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 16
Did you say ***better*** half?
wink.gif
On one hand, you could show her the cheaper alternatives, like the Orpheus - it's on sale at HEADROOM...
evil_smiley.gif
On the other hand, you could show her the more expensive ones, like buying a Lamborghini - sorry, no sale I know of...
very_evil_smiley.gif
... and if she still isn't convinced... well, you got the answer in the previous post...
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 16
The others' suggestions are good, but consider these too:

You have to make a comparison between the Ety's and something she likes or has that's kind of expensive, but worth the price, and also requires her to pay that much to get it. Is there anything in her kitchen like that? What about anything in her closet, in her jewelry box, or in her garage?

If that doesn't work, you can use this approach: if she loves you, she'll want you to preserve your hearing. The Ety's can do that, because you won't have to turn the music up as much as with open phones. She doesn't want you two to grow old together, with you saying "Huh?" and her yelling at you.

Jun 26, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 16
Well I think over the 31 years I have been married to the same woman I have tried every ploy imaginable to convince her that what I wanted to spend alot of money on was worth it. Finally a long time ago I stumbled on to telling her the truth and it worked.

I told her it would make me happy to have whatever it is I wanted at the time. She always says the same thing back. "Sure it will, until the next thing comes along." She laughs and I go buy my new toy. If the money was tight she might ask that I wait a bit but I do not ever remember a real argument or being told no. Sometimes though the rolling of the eyes and the shaking of the head makes me think twice.

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 16
I don't think comparing the price of the etys with other stuff you'd like to have, or stuff she'd like to have, or anything else that looks ugly will help. She will probably hate the fact that the moment you put them on, you will be immune to her - women do hate being ignored.
mad.gif

Here's what I would do: get it from Headroom where you can give them back in 30 days, listen to them, HAVE HER LISTEN TO THEM, compare them with the cheapest, worst kinds of phones you can find, HAVE HER DO THE COMPARISON, and once she is convinced there is a difference, do the sales pitch: "Honey, these will preserve my hearing so well that I will be able to LISTEN TO YOU until the day I (or you - but don't say that) die." - and mean it.

If the above does not work, return the phones, forget about the whole deal, look miserable listening to cheapo phones, crank cheapo phones up so she is annoyed hearing them, wait for your birthday and tell her you want the etys for your birthday.

Hey, that's what I'd do.

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 16
I have the ER6s and I love them. I want the ER4Ps but I'm not sure I have a chance for isolation often enough to justify the price. They're personal to me: a chance to block it all out and get away from everything, and they sound good. Great on on airplanes, roadtrips, working after hours,or just sitting on the patio. They're like a cheap vacation (with a little gin and a good cigar).
tongue.gif

I think John's on the right track - just tell the truth, without rationalization and skip the sell job. Most guys aren't good at it anyway.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dougli, I'm afraid for you. I'd have to hurt you if you ever referred to anything in the kitchen as 'mine.'

Jun 26, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 16
That's one of the things I like about these forums. People from all walks of life, all worldviews and all tastes, coming together to share the passion for headphones. We get to see just how subjective this all is...and how alike we all are after all...

Now, just what is it about those things of yours in your kitchen, ChenaynayC...

Jun 26, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Now, just what is it about those things of yours in your kitchen, ChenaynayC...

Hey, everything in my kitchen is community property. There is nothing sacred. I'm not that kind of girl.
tongue.gif
Your statement just reminded me of those old '50s shows like 'Queen for a Day'. Oh goody I won a washer/dryer, and vacuum. All things to keep me working. Give me a break! I think of kitchens as community property. Everyone benefits from what happens there, everyone should take part.

I..I..I think I need therapy. I'm not even married...
confused.gif

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by ChenaynayC

Hey, everything in my kitchen is community property. There is nothing sacred. I'm not that kind of girl.
tongue.gif
Your statement just reminded me of those old '50s shows like 'Queen for a Day'. Oh goody I won a washer/dryer, and vacuum. All things to keep me working. Give me a break! I think of kitchens as community property. Everyone benefits from what happens there, everyone should take part.

I..I..I think I need therapy. I'm not even married...
confused.gif

.... how old are you ? if you dont mind me asking

Jun 26, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 16
I saw those shows as reruns, and it could have been the 70s or 80s. And, never, never, never, ask that question. I'm 29.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back