Need help converting wav to flac and mp3
Feb 14, 2007 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

noobie72

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm using EAC to convert my CDs wav/flac/mp3. Is there a way to batch convert wav files to flac and then batch convert the flac files to mp3? I can't find a way to select wav files on my hard disk to convert them all the flac or mp3. EAC only seems to recognize the CD player.

Here's what I have to do now to archive my CDs in flac format and convert to mp3 for use on my ipod:

1. Insert each music CD and convert to flac.
2. After convert to flac, convert to mp3.

The problem is, when converting to flac, EAC has to create a wav file first, then convert to flac. The wav to flac conversion takes a lot longer than the initial wav file conversion.

Why can't I convert all the CDs to wav format and batch convert the wav files to flac format? This way, I can let it run overnight versus having to wait for each CD to be completed.

What is your workflow to back up your CDs to flac and mp3? If there is already a thread on this, please point me to it.

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 5
You can use foobar to convert a whole bunch of stuff in one go.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 5
First step: download the FLAC front-end if you don't already have it (you should if you used the Windows installer). Second step: Download the RazorLame front-end for LAME. It's a simple GUI (graphical user interface) like the FLAC front-end. Setup is simple... Basically, you just have to point it to lame.exe and setup your encoding options.

As you've noted, both FLAC and MP3 have to be sourced from the original uncompressed WAV file. So, when you rip your CDs with EAC, tell it to rip everything to uncompressed WAVs instead of compressing the files right away. When you have all of your WAV files, open up the FLAC and RazorLame GUIs and drag and drop your WAV files into each window. Then, let them do their stuff. When they're done converting to FLAC and MP3, you can delete the original WAV files.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, I might try foobar. I use winamp for its simplicity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use foobar to convert a whole bunch of stuff in one go.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 5
I installed flac, but never used the front end. I just used it through EAC. I'll have to give it a try. This looks like the simplest way. I'm already using RazorLame for ripping WAV to mp3.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First step: download the FLAC front-end if you don't already have it (you should if you used the Windows installer). Second step: Download the RazorLame front-end for LAME. It's a simple GUI (graphical user interface) like the FLAC front-end. Setup is simple... Basically, you just have to point it to lame.exe and setup your encoding options.

As you've noted, both FLAC and MP3 have to be sourced from the original uncompressed WAV file. So, when you rip your CDs with EAC, tell it to rip everything to uncompressed WAVs instead of compressing the files right away. When you have all of your WAV files, open up the FLAC and RazorLame GUIs and drag and drop your WAV files into each window. Then, let them do their stuff. When they're done converting to FLAC and MP3, you can delete the original WAV files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back