Need help connecting both speakers and headphones to power amp
Nov 12, 2016 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rockin_Zombie

500+ Head-Fier
I got a First Watt J2 power amp and using banana-to-XLR cable to listen to my HE6 headphones through it.

I would like to also connect speakers to the amp. But I do not want to disconnect and reconnect the banana plugs every time I want to switch. However, I will turn the speakers off when listening to headphones, and disconnect the headhpone XLR when the speakers are on, so both will not be on at the same time. 

What is the best way of going about this? Is there such a thing called banana Y adapters? Or can I connect both spades and banana plugs to the 5-way binding posts? I don't want to get a switch box because that's another additional box and might degrade the sound quality as far as I have heard, debatable though. 

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 5
  I got a First Watt J2 power amp and using banana-to-XLR cable to listen to my HE6 headphones through it.

I would like to also connect speakers to the amp. But I do not want to disconnect and reconnect the banana plugs every time I want to switch. However, I will turn the speakers off when listening to headphones, and disconnect the headhpone XLR when the speakers are on, so both will not be on at the same time. 

What is the best way of going about this? Is there such a thing called banana Y adapters? Or can I connect both spades and banana plugs to the 5-way binding posts? I don't want to get a switch box because that's another additional box and might degrade the sound quality as far as I have heard, debatable though. 

Thanks!

Spades and banana plugs will work fine. But, personally I'd use a switch box.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Is there any risk connecting both bananas and spades? Any recommendation for a basic cheap switch box?  

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 5
  Is there any risk connecting both bananas and spades? Any recommendation for a basic cheap switch box?  

No risk. Any switch you find on Amazon or eBay will work.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 5
So what did you end up doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back