Need help configuring X-Fi as transport to external DAC
Sep 17, 2006 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Disiskurt

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm having some trouble getting my Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 set up with my X-Fi Platinum as the transport. The DAC is brand new, and I highly doubt the problem lies there. Right now, I'm using the spdif coaxial out on the front bay console that comes with the X-Fi Platinum. I've tried to search for some answers, but nothing has aided in getting this working.

For those familiar with the Numer Cruncher, there is no power switch, and the only sign of it being on is when the data lock light is on. Nothing that I've tried so far has gotten that light to come on. That being said, I'm clearly having trouble working with the X-Fi Audio Creation mode. It's all very confusing to me, and I'd bet a fair amount that the problem lies in something I haven't done in the options. Anywho, for anyone who has experience using the X-Fi with an external DAC, some help will be greatly appreciated. I will promptly answer to any details involving my setup that needs to be clarified in order to help find the solution to this. Thanks for reading.

- Kurt

Sep 18, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 22
Bump, it's killing me to watch this setup without being able to listen to it...

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 22
1) Audio Creation Mode
2) 44.1, not 48
3) turn on "enable bit perfect"

I also turn off the "sense headphones" as I think this just adds an EQ into the system.

If you are careful you can look and make sure the toslink light is on on your front panel. ( or at the end of the fiber where it goes into the DAC is probably safer)
*edit nm, you said coax, sorry, I have learned to check everything 3 times*

Another check, plug something into the card/front panel and make sure music is coming out of those, if its not, you have other problems.

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 22
Nope, didn't work. I've used headphones out of the front bay, so it can't be the connection between that and the sound card. Hope I didn't receive a defective DAC...

Should music still be able to come out of my speakers plugged into the card if I'm trying to output a digital signal? Because it does, and that's one peculiar thing I thought might be worth mentioning

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 22
Not sure about the X-Fi Platinum, but I'm using the X-Fi Xtreme Music with the same DAC and yes, speakers plugged into the analog out from the soundcard still have sound.

Not sure what problem the soundcard would be having aside from the above mentioned, but there *is* that little black button on the back of the 203.2 to switch between coax and optical input.

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 22
Nope, tried both settings on the selector with those card settings in place with no luck (although I know it shouldn't be pushed in for coax to work.) Is there any sort of single RCA to 1/8" adaptor out there? (no luck on Radio Shack website) Only thing I can think of is to try connecting from the flexijack on the back of the card. I don't have any other audio transports with a digital out, I would've tried that to test just the DAC.

Sep 19, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 22
Hmmm...so I guess I'll toss the adaptor idea then. Anything else that it could be on the soundcard end?

And my deepest thanks to all who've helped so far.

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
u cant run bit perfect to an external dac unless you have the adaptor.

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...5&product=1780

i got one just for kicks, havent used it because 1) no external dac 2) no digital cable

i just got a cable and thinking about getting a dac. Too bad i sold my x-fi plat lol. Gift of the magi FTW

? I thought the x-fi has a digital out already?

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by stukovx
? I thought the x-fi has a digital out already?

yeah when you are using x-fi as source i think its no prob. When you need to use it as a transport, then you need the adaptor. At least thats what i was lead to believe reading from various places.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 22
I had no trouble finding a RCA-mini mono adapter at Radio Shack. Was cheap, and is what I have been using. I tend not to have to plug cables into the front of my computer.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 22
my setup = X-fi flexijack > mono mini to rca adapter > digital coax cable > 203.2 DAC > amp > headphones

Works with no problems whatsoever. The adapter was only $2 Canadian too
biggrin.gif

So... it might be worth trying if you don't have any other source to plug the DAC into to see if it's defective or what not =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back