Need help concerning EMU 0404 and a second soundcard
Jun 7, 2005 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sabbe

New Head-Fier
Right. I decided to order Terratec Aureon 5.1 PCI soundcard for my gaming needs.. there are 2 reasons for this. First and foremost I need something to plug my headphones in when I go to a LAN party.. dragging my receiver with me or buying a headphone amp is not an option. Also I didn't find the headphone splitter cable here in Finland and ordering an inexpensive cable alone from some other country is simply stupid, since the postage cost is significant.

Second reason is the fact that new games tend to not work so well with my EMU 0404.. I get sound cutoff. I've managed to tweak many of them to almost work 100% but there's always something. Older games that don't stutter with my computer work fine.. any stutter and emu cuts off. I don't have a lousy computer.. xp2700+, 512ram, gf6800LE. Tweaked like hell. 512ram etc just isn't enough for totally stutter-free experience with the new games.

Well, enough explaining now. What I want to know is what is the best way to hook up my system after adding the Terratec Aureon card? What I had in mind is this, you can tell me if it is possible or not:

I think that connecting the Aureon from its toslink optical output to the emu optical input provides the best quality. There's something I'm not so sure of though, the patchmix configuration for this?

What I'd like to do is have 1 session where I have 1 ASIO strip straight from EMU (for winamp) and a wave strip that is routed from the terratec card.. can I then play a game with sounds from terratec card and at the same time play music from winamp using emu as source? That would be 44khz all the way. I have only one game that I play with winamp playing though.. but that's one of my favorite games so it's crucial that I have an easy way for this.

Then a second session for 48khz movies/series-watching.. for that I'll only need the emu wave strip.. I already have that session in use so it's not a problem, it works. That first session is the one I have no experience of and need guidance.

An optional third session would be what I have now.. 44khz asio and wave strips straight from emu.. since that game I use simultaneously with winamp works with my emu 100%.. then I wouldn't need an asio strip at all for the first session. Then I'd have 3 sessions to play with instead the 2 I have now, but if that's the only way then it'll have to do. I'd have 1 for games in general, second for winamp and the 1 game I play with winamp and a third for movie watching.

The terratec card will of course be the primary device in the windows settings.. so that all games use it. I can define EMU as source for my movie and music software.

What do you think? I do have my receiver with a lot of inputs though and I could play with that.. but I think the easiest and the logical way would be to hook up every session through emu and just have shortcuts for the sessions on the desktop.

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 5
I hope you are aware that there are several 5.1 Aureons? The 5.1 Sky is the Envy24HT animal, while the 5.1 Fun and 5.1 PCI are C-Media CMI8738 based and worth much less.

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm well aware.. I'm looking for a basic card for playing only. I don't need great quality from that card, I have emu for quality. Aureon 5.1 PCI has a price tag of about 20 euros.. that is just perfect for this use. I don't want to spend any more money than is needed.

Could someone however help me with the issues I'm facing soon? Especially this section:

Quote:

I think that connecting the Aureon from its toslink optical output to the emu optical input provides the best quality. There's something I'm not so sure of though, the patchmix configuration for this?

What I'd like to do is have 1 session where I have 1 ASIO strip straight from EMU (for winamp) and a wave strip that is routed from the terratec card.. can I then play a game with sounds from terratec card and at the same time play music from winamp using emu as source? That would be 44khz all the way. I have only one game that I play with winamp playing though.. but that's one of my favorite games so it's crucial that I have an easy way for this.

Then a second session for 48khz movies/series-watching.. for that I'll only need the emu wave strip.. I already have that session in use so it's not a problem, it works. That first session is the one I have no experience of and need guidance.

An optional third session would be what I have now.. 44khz asio and wave strips straight from emu.. since that game I use simultaneously with winamp works with my emu 100%.. then I wouldn't need an asio strip at all for the first session. Then I'd have 3 sessions to play with instead the 2 I have now, but if that's the only way then it'll have to do. I'd have 1 for games in general, second for winamp and the 1 game I play with winamp and a third for movie watching.

The terratec card will of course be the primary device in the windows settings.. so that all games use it. I can define EMU as source for my movie and music software.

What do you think? I do have my receiver with a lot of inputs though and I could play with that.. but I think the easiest and the logical way would be to hook up every session through emu and just have shortcuts for the sessions on the desktop.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm going to fetch the soundcard today so..

I'm sure there are people here who know exactly what I'm going through, but why there hasn't been a single constructive post, I don't know.

It would ease my testing period, but I'll just have to test everything if no one is willing to give me some direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back