Need Help- College Cans
Oct 5, 2007 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TheProdigy

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've decided that I'd like to purchase my fist pair of decent headphones . I live in a dorm, so I'd like something that will sound good and be somewhat rugged. I haven't really decided on closed or open, so I hope you people can help me.

My tastes in music vary greatly- I like everything from rock to trip hop to classical and jazz. I guess I'd like something that would have a good amount of bass, but at the same time, have enough detail to get everything out of the music.

My Budget is $200 at most, and I'd really like something to sound good without an amp, although I may look into amps further down the road. The two cans I was looking at ar the HD595's and the A900's- open vs. closed

I hope you guys can help me get started in semi-hi-fi
600smile.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would your roommate mind open headphones? You never really understand how badly they leak sound until you own a pair.

I don't think it would really bother him, but I think I might like the added isolation

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 16
The isolation is sometimes nice, but since it's not a big deal I would go for the open headphones. I really prefer open headphones to closed headphones. I have MS-1's ($90~$100) and I have some HD580's coming in next week. I like the MS-1's, but the soundstage is nada and separation could be better. Great for the money though. Somebody else can give you thoughts on the Sennheiser's since mine aren't here yet
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 16
I spent a lot of time in college as a student then as a professor. I always recommend cheap, both because of the other expenses of college and because things tend to get abused and ripped off. My favorite college recommendations are KSC 75s, Marshmallows, and SR 60s. Getting all three is well under budget and give travel, closed, open, and in-room (grados), without needing an amp. Save your money for pizzas and dates.

Mooch

Oct 5, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a lot of time in college as a student then as a professor. I always recommend cheap, both because of the other expenses of college and because things tend to get abused and ripped off. My favorite college recommendations are KSC 75s, Marshmallows, and SR 60s. Getting all three is well under budget and give travel, closed, open, and in-room (grados), without needing an amp. Save your money for pizzas and dates.

Mooch

I really would like to enter the head-fi world- I think I can handle owning a pair of headphones. There is no one in my dorm that I think would harm my stuff. I also have ksc 75's already

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 16
I think mooch is just referring to the ever present Murphy's law. Being in college too I'd recommend going for closed. Your roomate might not say anything, but he'll probably get annoyed after awhile especially if you don't share the same taste for music. At least that was the case with me (I was the one being annoyed).

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 16
I started out with the HD-650, but had to order my Ultrasone for when my roommate was around. I guess it depends on how your roommate behaves. Observe him for a while to see if he goes out often or not.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 16
I use H595s...if you're worried about getting your stuff ripped off I recommend student insurance for all your stuff...might as well cover a few grand which can include nice cans.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 16
For school I use iems, my apartment is pretty noisy due to the traffic and loud neighbors. I tried open full size cans (sr225, DT990) but they dont isolate enough for me so I only use them when I go home (dt990), which is like every weekend.

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had hd650s all through college. If you're listening to them so loud that they're annoying your roommate then you're listening too loud...trust me.

I'll have to disagree. It's designed to leak sound, and it does that even at lower volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back