Need Help! Closed Headphones with HD650 SQ?
Nov 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
Guys, while I truly appreciate your feedback, I feel like this post is becoming too hostile.
I believe that "good sound" is a preference and can vary a ton from people to people.
I knew this guy who claimed his headphone is superior (I'm not going to specify which headphone because it will start flame wars).
While I considered it as an inferior, I can't just go up to him and say, "you obviously don't know what you are talking about because my phones are better."
My point is, let's be friends!

Any more suggestions on closed headphones that can beat Sennheiser HD650?
(Right now, I'm literally hiding in the corner of the library while listening to my HD650 with E7/E9 combo at a quite volume; so far, no one tried to stone me to death lol)

You're right; sorry.

This is pushing you budget a bit, but have you considered the Beyerdynamic T70/T70P?

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 28

For what it's worth upon reflection there is only one closed headphone that comes to my mind
to parallel the HD650's abilities 

The Audio Technica W1000X ~ it's a very different headphone but I find it more comfortable,
certainly a bit pacier with fast material but it does not match the HD650's bottom end,
the highs on the W1000 can be a little strident with some recordings which may prove
disatisfactory for many.

Still there you go OP, if you like wood, it's around the price range if you seek a bargain
and yes it will run out of a powerful MP3 player reasonably well.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 28
Saintly These Beyers are fairly new and I can't find a detailed review.
How to they sound?

Gwarmi lol what do you mean by "very different headphone"? (compared to HD650)

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #19 of 28

Quote:
Saintly These Beyers are fairly new and I can't find detailed review.
How to they sound?

Gwarmi lol what do you mean by "very different headphone"? (compared to HD650)

Different as in the sound signatures are very different to each other between the HD650 and
W1000X, how they present the sound to the listener.

The HD650 is fairly, warm rich, never harsh, full bodied, fairly generous in it's bass

The W1000X is delicate, airy, great soundstage for a closed headphone, some of the
best actually, but it's warm, light fluffy sound can dish up a harsh upper mid range
note or two if the material dictates that, it could be a sign that the recording stinks
or it's just that the headphone is hitting one of it's own dB peaks.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiotechnica3/1.html

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #20 of 28
Oh, I see. Actually, that doesn't sound bad at all. And I do like the wooden finish :)
I know this one's way out of my budget, but how does Beyer T5p sound?

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
The Beyerdynamic DT150 isn't a HD650 sound-alike, but of all the headphones I owned, it's the one that comes closest to the low end + mid range emphasis of the Senn.

We weren't talking about the DT150.

Meltdown117: I personally have never heard the T70 but what little feedback I've read about them have been largely positive and Beyerdynamic has a pretty good reputation.  The T5P is way out of the $500 price range, but I imagine it would sound somewhat similar to the T1 (which I love) since they use the same driver; one is open and the other is closed.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
We weren't talking about the DT150.

Meltdown117: I personally have never heard the T70 but what little feedback I've read about them have been largely positive and Beyerdynamic has a pretty good reputation.  The T5P is way out of the $500 price range, but I imagine it would sound somewhat similar to the T1 (which I love) since they use the same driver; one is open and the other is closed.

I might be wrong, but the thread is titled closed headphones with HD650 SQ no?

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 28

Quote:

I might be wrong, but the thread is titled closed headphones with HD650 SQ no?

I completely skipped over the whole 2nd half of that sentence where you described its sound as being similar to the HD650.  I thought you picked up on the conversation thinking we were talking about the DT150.  Having a cold not only plugs up my ears but also clouds up my head, it seems.  So sorry! 
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #25 of 28
Thread revival :)

I love my HD650 dearly, and I'm surely interested in a more isolating headphone with the rich and forgiving HD650 sound.
Maybe DT150 comes close, but I had comfort issues with them.
Any more suggestions?

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #26 of 28
Fischer Audio FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5 / Lindy Premium (which are all rebrands of the same exact headphone) have several reviews which say they sound exactly like a closed 600/650.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
Thread revival :)

I love my HD650 dearly, and I'm surely interested in a more isolating headphone with the rich and forgiving HD650 sound.
Maybe DT150 comes close, but I had comfort issues with them.
Any more suggestions?

Of all the closed cans that I've owned, I'd say the closest to the HD 650 would be the Audio Technica ESW9 and the B&W P5.  The P5 was noticeably inferior IMO, but both carried a similar tonality to the HD 650 to my ears (smooth and laid-back).  

The JVC DX-1000 is the only other closed can I can think of that has a more forgiving, mid-centric sound, but they're awfully rare and costly these days.  A nice set of Thunderpants might do the trick, but I haven't had the pleasure of hearing them myself.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #28 of 28
DT150 in some aspects sound better than HD650. With velour pads the comfort is not bad. HD650 comfort is not very good neither. I own both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back