Need help chossing dac/amp
Jun 9, 2016 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheKingOfDucks

New Head-Fier
So after a very, very long time of researching I've decided on getting the Fidelio X1. The next thing I need to do is find at least a dac for it. I don't know if it needs amplification seeing that it outputs 32ohms I believe, it may be 30. What would you guys recomend. I've looked at the Fiio e10k, the topping vx1, or a schiit stack (Modi 2 uber and Magni 2 uber). I am a gamer, a YouTuber, and I love classic rock, Mumford and sons, classical and some rap. For gaming I want to be able to hear where things are coming from, mostly for horror games. I also love Skyrim, Gta, far cry, Minecraft ect
Any replies would be greatly appreciated

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

I don't know if it needs amplification seeing that it outputs 32ohms I believe, it may be 30. 

OK...first off, impedance (in ohms) is not the output of an amplifier, which is measured in watts. Second, the headphone, vis a vis the amplifier, is a "passive" component - it doesn't "output" any power, it receives it. What a headphone or speaker outputs is sound, measured in decibels at a given distance and frequency (at 1000hz, but it could be several decibels louder or software in any other frequency).   

What impedance tells you is what kind of load the amplifier will see, which affects the amplifier's performance. In most cases an amplifier will have an output power higher at 32ohms than at 300ohms, but you need to make sure that the nominal (ie some can swing far from this depending on frequency) impedance of the headphone is much higher than the output impedance of the amplifier, otherwise you will reduce the amplifier's damping factor which in turn EQs the bass, which can go any which way. The safe ratio used in the forums is 8:1 but that does not mean you need to worry if it's at 6:1. 

Next to impedance what is really relevant in terms of whether it needs amplification or not is the sensitivity/efficiency - the higher this is the easier it is to get the output louder (amplifier gain can vary how much you move the volume knob but generally just look at the sensitivity).  At 100dB/1mW the X1 won't need a lot of power, so what an amp will do is lower the noise and distortion, assuming you're at a high enough level with whatever you're using. 

Quote:

I've looked at the Fiio e10k, the topping vx1, or a schiit stack (Modi 2 uber and Magni 2 uber).

Even the E10K will get the X1 very loud, in terms of output power it would be more worthwhile to make a consideration on what to get based on what headphones you plan on getting in the future.

Quote:

I am a gamer, a YouTuber, and I love classic rock, Mumford and sons, classical and some rap. For gaming I want to be able to hear where things are coming from, mostly for horror games. I also love Skyrim, Gta, far cry, Minecraft ect
Any replies would be greatly appreciated

If you're a gamer and want directional audio what you need is a soundcard with virtual surround, not an amplifier per se. Basically, the DSP chip in your gaming rig is more important than the amp itself, and all you need to consider is to make sure that the output impedance of the soundcard's headphone output is not too high. Also, check your motherboard - since the Z87's red boards had decent audio, and now they're just diversifying colors but basically any "gaming" motherboard tend to have a decent amplifier, and with the exception of ASRock, a DSP chip with virtual surround that works with games (ie some older boards have virtual surround but it only works on movies, like my old MSI H77).

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Thank you for that. How is the dac in the e10k and how would the quality compare to a schiit stack? Thanks

Very likely not much of an audible difference in the DACs, it'll really be in the amp where there will be differences but again only if you have a headphone that the E10K cannot drive easily. 

Also, note what I said about gaming. Drive it with a soundcard or on-board with low output impedance, and the only thing I'd worry about is not having a physical volume knob as you would in a separate amplifier.  Most important though is you get a DSP chip that does virtual surround. Now, if you decide to get harder to drive headphones in the future, there's an easier upgrade path from this - just get any DAC (and a headphone amp) or DAC+HPamp that has the same kind of SPDIF input as the SPDIF output on the soundcard or motherboard (assuming you have on-board sound that does virtual surround). A SoundBlaster or Xonar card for example will likely have optical output, so get the Schiit Modi2 Uber to hook them up through that, and then any amp that can drive what headphones you'll get.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Very likely not much of an audible difference in the DACs, it'll really be in the amp where there will be differences but again only if you have a headphone that the E10K cannot drive easily. 

Also, note what I said about gaming. Drive it with a soundcard or on-board with low output impedance, and the only thing I'd worry about is not having a physical volume knob as you would in a separate amplifier.  Most important though is you get a DSP chip that does virtual surround. Now, if you decide to get harder to drive headphones in the future, there's an easier upgrade path from this - just get any DAC (and a headphone amp) or DAC+HPamp that has the same kind of SPDIF input as the SPDIF output on the soundcard or motherboard (assuming you have on-board sound that does virtual surround). A SoundBlaster or Xonar card for example will likely have optical output, so get the Schiit Modi2 Uber to hook them up through that, and then any amp that can drive what headphones you'll get.
Alrighty then. I would like to have a volume knob, but if the virtual surround sound is really worth it for gaming, would the xonar or sound blaster be better for the x1s. This is very helpful so far

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

I would like to have a volume knob, but if the virtual surround sound is really worth it for gaming, would the xonar or sound blaster be better for the x1s. This is very helpful so far

I'm not familiar with each individual card so it's best that you look into each. In your case just check if it has virtual surround, then double check the output impedance. Make sure it's 5ohms max, but ideally 4ohms and below. As for the quality of the virtual surround program, Dolby Headphone vs Scout Mode is pretty much kind of a hit or miss - there are people who like one over the other. Just get one that has a low output impedance and just don't sweat thinking how much better the other DSP is.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Unless they have come out with a new card recently, Xonar and Creative sound cards do not have very low impedance output, and such, are not optimal for 32 ohm headphones.

A great solution is to go with a Xonar DX and a Schiit Magni 2 (get the uber if you have speakers). The DX has a pretty good DAC, can give you Dolby Headphone virtual surround, and is cheaper than a Modi. Or even cheaper, a Fiio A3 or E12 portable amp. Would work great with the DX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back