Need help chosing an IEM under $100
Dec 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

curiousgally

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I need some help on choosing an IEM which is around $100. I previously owned a Brainwavz M3 which broke recently.  I liked it while it lasted but wanted to go for something even better as a replacement. I listen to all kinds of music. I'm not a fan of too much bass and wouldn't like a no bass earphones as well. So I'm looking for something that gives me the best of both worlds, mild bass and detailed.  I don't take good care of my ear buds so looking for a decent warranty too on the ear buds. I would be using my IEM's on the go for commute, running etc. so don't want something that would block 100% noise. Ability to hear honks and flight announcements would suffice.   With the help of these forums I have short listed a few.

1) Shure SE215 - Its a good all-rounder. Not sure if the bass would overwhelm me from what some people say in some reviews. I used the small eartips that come with Brainwavz M3, not sure if these would be comfortable for me. I don't mind taking the extra effort to learn to wear these buds given that I like them :) . I'm 5.7, a bit apprehensive about the cable length which is 5.4 (at least its not taller than me) :)

2) RE-400 - has good reviews from ljokerl. I see a lot of issues with build quality. 1 year warranty for me is a strict no (after I lost the M3's)

3) Etymotic HF5 - These are more towards detailed, with little or no bass. They also go deep into the ear and totally block outside noise. They do have their fair share of build issues due to fragile wiring but 2 year warranty takes care of that.

4) Rock-It-Sounds R50 - I read up on this on ljokerl's website. It's rated pretty good but not sure if it would meet my needs.

After upgrading to the M3 from Creative E630, I'm not able to appreciate any other low end ear buds like the apples etc.  :)

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks.

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 5
If warranty is important to you, I can suggest the RHA MA750 but it retails for $120, however you do get a 3-year warranty with it so it may be worth paying a little more over your $100 budget.  Build quality looks solid and I think its sound signature is close to what you are looking for.  There are a few reviews on head-fi so take a look.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the reply 'wslk' . Did some reading on the RHA-MA750, sounds an interesting buy. Not many review though. I listen to mostly mp3's and not flac. Not sure if these would do just fine handling lower quality mp3s. Though I'm not specific for a remote with microphone, considering apple version just 10$ more than the normal one, its a bit disappointing that they don't have the android version of it :), not a total let down though. I would prefer Amazon as I can return them with no questions asked if I don't like them. However they just have the apple version of it at the moment. May be I'll have to wait for a few more days.

Any help on comparing them against my other choices would be great!!!

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back