Need help choosing the right pair of headphones
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mezren

New Head-Fier
I'm for a headphone that will fill my needs properly with making as as few compromises as possible.

These will be used for mostly gaming and listening to music.

Budget - Under $150. If there is a pair that's leaps and bounds better for not much more I will stretch for it.

Source - PC (Front panel plug or motherboard I/O, willing to buy a sound card or cheap amp).

Requirements for Isolation - Flexible. But will be used for gaming. Too much bleed to the mic is bad. Also may try and use them in a home studio for vocal recording. This is a maybe.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, comfort is a huge plus for long gaming sessions.

Preferred tonal balance - I like a punchy bass but dont like when it muffles the rest of the range. Id like to have good mids and highs as well. Soundstage is important due to gaming. I just got a pair of AKG K240s from amazon and they just dont do it in the bass department for me. If this is fixable, I'd like suggestions.

Preferred Music - While I do listen to wide variety, I tend to listen to metalcore and post hardcore the most. I do enjoy my jazz though.

I have been looking at Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Sennheiser HD558s, and Beyerdynamic Dt770s.

Thanks for your time!

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Open headphones like the HD558 will give you a bigger soundstage, which is a plus for gaming and music.

The DT990 Pro 250 are a really good price on Amazon at the moment and are open headphones. These would give you more bass than the HD558. These would require a headphone amp or soundcard.

Another thing about souncards is that many have virtual surround for use with gaming and movies, which improves the experience.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Agree with HD558/DT990s, but in my opinion DT990s' mids are a bit recessed and not ideal for jazz vocals/electric guitar

If you get the HD558s, try the popular foam mod to make them sound like HD598s. Otherwise, you can try getting a pair of used HD598s as well. Both shouldn't need a dac/amp but would sound great with one (e.g. Aune T1, or Fiio E07K are the most value for money)

Also, you can consider the Creative Aurvana Live.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 7
I would also recommend you pass on the ATH-M50s/DT770, their mids leave very much to be desired, in my opinion.

I listen to similar stuff that you do, bought the DT770s and returned them after a day.

If you can try them out locally before purchase, that would be the best option for you.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back