Need help choosing the right IEM's for me
Dec 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Drsinful

New Head-Fier
Hello, I play keyboards (mainly hammond organ) in a band and my ears are suffering BADLY.  It seems like there are so many options out there, dual drivers, tripple, quad, but no way to test them.  Are all companies the same? I'm going for the custom molded ones and I have researched a bunch, but still have no better idea of what to go with.  Any help is much appreciated.  I like heavy bass, is the difference between 2, 3, and 4 drivers really that big?  any suggestions?  thanks a bunch,

-The Dr,

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 3
While I can't recommend some for you I can tell you the difference between the 1 and 4 drivers etc.
Generally (this doesnt apply for all), the drivers will act accordingly.
1. General, nothing special about this. Okay all around but very lacking in bass and high ends etc.
2. Subwoofer. Adds more boom and definition to bass sounds so it doesnt sound so flat.
3. Tweeter. More high end sounds become less distorted/clearer.
4. Subwoofer #2. Even more bass. More punchy bass.

This could vary from company to company.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Hello, I play keyboards (mainly hammond organ) in a band and my ears are suffering BADLY.  It seems like there are so many options out there, dual drivers, tripple, quad, but no way to test them.  Are all companies the same? I'm going for the custom molded ones and I have researched a bunch, but still have no better idea of what to go with.  Any help is much appreciated.  I like heavy bass, is the difference between 2, 3, and 4 drivers really that big?  any suggestions?  thanks a bunch,

-The Dr,

The number of driver(s) have nothing to do at all with sound characteristics; It's more about how the manufacturers configure and adjust the driver(s). More driver doesn't mean heavier bass.

Why can't you test custom molded IEM? Manufacturers generally have universal demo units of their custom IEM so customers can listen and see how the final product will sound, but do note that there will be slight differences in how the demo unit sounds compared to the custom molded one. You can contact the manufacturers directly to see if they have demo units near where you live or if they can send you demo units.

I'm not gonna suggest you any particular brand or model of custom molded IEM, that is for you to decide. But you need to help me help you first. How much is your budget? where do you live? are you intending to use the IEM as live monitor only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back