Need help choosing sub-$150 portable over or on-ear headphones to be used for recording and listening.
Dec 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PaulExcellent

New Head-Fier
Hello, there. After an immense amount of research in sub-$150 headphones, I have found some candidates that seem to go for the kind of listening I need, but I rather have some help from experienced users and headphone enthusiasts.
I will be using these headphones to listen to mostly rock, punk, indie, and acoustic tunes, and for recording music, mostly punk rock and indie. Comfort is a really important part of the purchase, as I will be wearing these for long periods of time. Durability is also a key factor, as I really don't feel like buying a new pair for a while. (That is why I thought that the Sol Republic Tracks HD were neat.)

The headphones that I researched and found are:

1 - Audio-Technica ATH-M50
2 - Grado Prestige SR80i
3 - Sol Republic Tracks HD
4 - Sennheiser HD-280 PRO

Thank you for your help.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 12
The Sennheiser HD280 pro and Sony MDR-V6 are standard headphones used in recording since they are very neutral.  The Sony V6 is more comfortable, especially if you put the Beyerdynamic velour earpads on it, while the HD280 pro isolates better(due to its high  clamping force). The V6 is one of the most durable headphones. My V6 still works fine after 23 years. I did need to replace the earpads though.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 12
i have heard nothing but good things about the m-50's.  i have seen multiple reviews that all claim that the m50's blow any sub $200 headphone out of the water.  and my experiences with audio-technica have been great.  so i would definitely recommend the m-50's.  i currently own the tracks hd's and they are good, but they are not the most detailed headphones and i am sure that the m50's are much better.

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
i have heard nothing but good things about the m-50's.  i have seen multiple reviews that all claim that the m50's blow any sub $200 headphone out of the water.  and my experiences with audio-technica have been great.  so i would definitely recommend the m-50's.  i currently own the tracks hd's and they are good, but they are not the most detailed headphones and i am sure that the m50's are much better.

Kinda bringing this back from the dead but I have a thread up and open about this same comparison 

The M50's vs the Track HD's. You own the HD's and I really like these but the M50's are apparently better?

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 12
and by that i mean the 840's are better than the m50's out of an amp, not the tracks hd's, but by definition that automatically makes them better than the tracks hd's too.  ha.  however for portable use, i would have to lean towards the m50's.  they are driven better out of a portable device, look better, are lighter, and simply have a more desirable tone for portable use.  they simply sound more fun.  more bass, more percussive emphasis, and you will enjoy them more than the 840s.  the 840's are simply better for desktop use.  however for portable headphones in general, i would have to recommend the sennheiser hd25-1 II.  you can pick them up for $150 used on amazon.  which is what i have done, and they are literally new it seems, simply removed from the box.  and they truly are perfect for mobile use.  i bought from "DAHMART" on amazon, they sell tons of sennheiser and koss and actually some dennon stuff..and a few others.  sorry i kind of went off on a tangent there.  but hopefully i helped.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, I stumbled back upon this thread, and I tried most of the recommendations that were available to me:

Sol Republic - Tracks HD: Really liked the sound these gave out, but they were not comfortable after use. (Girlfriend bought these for me anyways. :D)

Audio Technica - M50: Loved these, but the chord was the coiled version, and these were going to be used solely for portable use. (Picked up some HD201s for recording.)

Sennheiser 280 Pro: THAT RECORDING SOUND. So good. Had no cash left for these, but for a musician, these are righteous.

Grado 80-i: I was rather impressed, but my friend was not going to let me test these for more than 10 minutes. -_-

Honestly, I wish I had gotten the Audio Technica pair, but the Sol Republic are fine for the sound and price. (Free!)
The only thing I would change is the comfort pads and the headband. (Pulls my hair, but I have LONG and poofy hair.)

Thank you for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back