Need help choosing some comfortable over-ear cans on a budget
Sep 8, 2013 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Moosie

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First off, sorry that it's this thread again. I'm just not finding anything that really meets my needs.

I'm looking for a set of cans with a soft budget of 250 and a hard budget of 300.

I'll be running them off of an Asus Xonar STX, so impedance shouldn't be a limiting factor.

I'll be using them for music (a wide variety - Folk, Punk, Indie, Metal, Hip Hop are the mains), gaming, and TV/Movies (in that order of importance).

What I want out of the cans is:

Comfort - This is the main concern. I'll potentially be wearing these for 5+ hours at a time. I have ears that are pretty rigid and far from my head, and I wear glasses.

Decent bass - I like a good sub, but I don't necessarily want basshead headphones. As long as they aren't recessed or anemic.

Durability - These things will be in near constant use, and I want them to be a worthwhile investment.

Straight Cable - It'll be reaching to the back of my computer, which is ~2 feet forward, and maybe ~3 feet to my right. so I don't want them to be stretched across my keyboard and getting in the way all the time.

Full Soundstage - This is more of a secondary. But good positional audio is fun in games and music.

Thank you in advance!

Moosie

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones, $200

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Open:
AD900X
Beyer DT 880 Pro 250 ohms

Closed:
A900X
K550

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 7
How is the build quality on the AD900x? Maybe it's just me having an old-fashioned view about it, but they don't look super robust. I'd rather they be heavier (but still with comfortable ear cups) but be super durable.

Also, are there any good cans with detachable cables in this price range/type? I know it's a long shot.

Thanks.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 7
  How is the build quality on the AD900x? Maybe it's just me having an old-fashioned view about it, but they don't look super robust. I'd rather they be heavier (but still with comfortable ear cups) but be super durable.

Also, are there any good cans with detachable cables in this price range/type? I know it's a long shot.

Thanks.

PSB M4U1 and AKG K545 does come with a detachable cable! Sony MDR-1R as well and so do Momentum 

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back