Need help choosing setup.
Jul 16, 2008 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

calum

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've just signed up, and would like some help on choosing the right equipment for me.

I've read on numerous forums, including this one that an external DAC etc can make all the difference for sound quality. As I'm only 17, and I am currently not in a position to buy everything at once, so I would like to be able to buy the parts one/two at a time and expanding from there.

My current setup is an x-fi prelude and an ATH-A900. I often play games series, as well as listening to music(trance, rock, acoustic, drum and bass) on my itunes. I do not require speakers, but I may eventually decide to add them! Could you also please recommend some good equipment, and what equipment I need?? I'm also probably only looking at spending a maximum of 700-900 pounds

Thanks in advance.

Jul 16, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 2
welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet

a system usually consisits of a source (standalone player/dac/soundcard), amp, and output device (speakers/headphones)

many people say that a pci sound card is affected by interference from other components in a computer. however, they are usually cheaper.

the emu 0404usb (200€ here)ist often recomended as a cheaper external dac. esi juli@ (~120€) ist supposed to be better, but is internal.

i haven't read much about amps, but i've seen the gilmour lite(399$) mentioned often.

since you have the a900 i asume u like rock/metal. grados/alessandros are considered the best cans for that. the rs-1/ms pro (700$) are their most expensive models.

everything i wrote is based only on what i've read so you shouldn't buy anything based on this. also, you should try to audition any gear before you buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back