Need Help Choosing Portable Cans
Aug 28, 2007 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

decayed.cell

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, the right ear in my Philips HS-820 died the other day so I'm looking for some new portable cans. I quite liked the comfort and sound of the HS-820's but they had a bit of a vice-like clamp on my head at first. I find that earbuds fall out of my ears so over the head or neckbands would be preferable. I'd also prefer something foldable. My friend is getting a pair of KSC-75s from eBay in a few days so I'll be able to check them out for comfort, however the first time I tried them (from another friend) they were a bit uncomfortable over the ears. Currently I'm looking at:

KSC-75 $24
PX100 $54
K26P $54
ATH-SJ5 $61
JBL 410 $55

Which of these would be best for the money? Which is the best sounding of the bunch? I can get them at around the same price on eBay (except the 75's which are cheapest). I haven't listed the ES5's because I can't buy them for a reasonable price (less than or around $100 AUD) nor the PortaPros

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 19
well i love the JBL 410's (basically flash AKG's), they really kick. They offer sound more akin to full size headphones, than your average portable headphones.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...410&category0=

If you wanted a real hardcore, blinding (English slang for very good) pair of portable headphones, then go for the Grado igrados.
basshead.gif
They'll blow your mind.

you can read my review, in me little signature below.

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i love the JBL 410's (basically flash AKG's), they really kick. They offer sound more akin to full size headphones, than your average portable headphones.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...410&category0=

If you wanted a real hardcore, blinding (English slang for very good) pair of portable headphones, then go for the Grado igrados.
basshead.gif
They'll blow your mind.

you can read my review, in me little signature below.

So the 410s are the same as the K27is but with some extra pleather but aren't the K27is the same as the K26P but with volume control and extra padding?

Hmm iGrados can't find them on eBay
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.amazon.com/Grado-i-Headph...8360972&sr=8-1

^ Amazon link. That's the right product, I'm guessing?

From what I've read the iGrados are great but theres no Australian distributor and they don't fold up nicely like the others

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read the iGrados are great but theres no Australian distributor and they don't fold up nicely like the others

no they don't fold up, but the sound more than compensates for that!

http://www.audiophile.com.au/product_grado.html

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 19
Its also $69 plus postage... I'm really after something that I can carry around to school/uni and stuff rather than be homebound with them on. Do know which is better overall out of PX100 and K26P? The 401s are more a comfy set of the K27i right?

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 19
i'm trying to think of other alternatives.

Like i said before the AKG's and the JBL's sound signature is of something of a full size headphones, but they do sound a bit closed compared to the sennheiser.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Reference-41...QQcmdZViewItem

the AKG 26's and 27's are basically a cheaper alternative, but the main difference is the headband.

The addition of a that leather headband (on the JBL's) makes a huge difference for long term use. it's not that the AKG' are uncomfortable, but i just can't get used to haveing a sliding metal headband.

But once again, although the JBL's are going dirt cheap (english slang for, very cheap) when it comes to sonic ability, although the JBL's offer big heavy bass, and great sound, the iGrado's are as perfect as they come.

The JBL's will slaughter all other portable headphones i have (JBL 410's, iGrado, PX100, PX200, ATH-ON3, iCans, Porta Pro, iPro, SE-MJ3b.. to name a few) for overall thump, but on sonic detail or clarity, depth of sound staging, the iGrado's rule!

If you just want a great sounding pair of headphones, once again i say forego the ability to fold your headphones, and buy the igardo's.

if you must really have a pair of folding headphones, then i say buy the JBL's NOW!. i don't regret one minute buying the JBL's and i paid alot more than what they're going for here. And this person ships worldwide.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-Reference-41...QQcmdZViewItem

Aug 29, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 19
like i said, the Sennheisers are a bit more open, but in terems of full fat performance, the JBL's will walk all over the PX100's.

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Bought them
tongue.gif
now we wait...

O.K. let's sit here for a bit, and tell scary stories. I'll start by telling you how scary my sisters cooking is!
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 19
Hell, what pisses me off is that they had the same pair on eBay Australia, same shop but cheaper by like 10 bucks because you didn't have to do currency conversion >.> lol. What are on now day 5 hmm 1-9 more days minimum

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Hell, what pisses me off is that they had the same pair on eBay Australia, same shop but cheaper by like 10 bucks because you didn't have to do currency conversion >.> lol. What are on now day 5 hmm 1-9 more days minimum

have patience. i don't know how savvy you are on ebay, but i'm still a learner. what usually happens is that you get your search in your country first, then below are other options.

for example, (i've only realized) that underneath all the UK prices would be a separate (small) section in US dollars. what i didn't realize, is that was a list of US sellers, ready to ship to the UK (worldwide).

it's all a learning curve. what did you pay?

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have patience. i don't know how savvy you are on ebay, but i'm still a learner. what usually happens is that you get your search in your country first, then below are other options.

for example, (i've only realized) that underneath all the UK prices would be a separate (small) section in US dollars. what i didn't realize, is that was a list of US sellers, ready to ship to the UK (worldwide).

it's all a learning curve. what did you pay?

$65.02 AUD because of the PayPal currency conversion charge and other stuff
tongue.gif
. I would have paid $53 AUD if I had bought it on eBay Australia. Although $65 is not bad for these headphones I hear seeing as though we can't get them here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back