Need help choosing pieces for a system
Jun 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

CandlePower

Head-Fier
I'm about to drink the kool-aid and I need some help deciding what flavor. This covers issues beyond just amps, but I needed to put it all together somewhere, so I thought the amp section was as good as any.

I'm starting from scratch.

I will use the system for listening to Movies and music. I have a broad range of musical tastes, including Beethoven, Hendrix, Miles Davis, Electric Skychurch, John Prine, Pink Floyd, String Cheese Incident, etc. Pretty much everything.

I will also use this system for recording, editing, mixing, and mastering electric guitar based music via the software recording program Adobe Audition. I have an Echo Audio "Darla 24" 24/96 full duplex soundcard and a Soundblaster Audigy in the PC. The Adobe audition program can resolve as high as 192/24. I record in 96/24 as that is the limit of my soundcard. I would like to have a DAC/Headphone amp combination, or separates, that can translate as high as 192/24 resolution for playback through the phones.

So I need components that are good at movies, music, and sound file editing.

I have been reading about various phones and a few seem to stand out: Sennheiser HD650; Beyerdynamic DT880; AKG 702; Grado RS1.

I have ruled out the Grado RS1 due to reported comfort issues.

From what I've been able to gather, the Sennheiser kills at classical or acoustic music, but is unremarkable with rock (relative to other reference phones).

The Beyerdynamics are reputed to maybe be the most comfortable. There is also talk of them having sound that is a contender for the best of its class (pricewise). One poster on this forum laughed at another who recommended the DT880 for rock. Thoughts about that?

Finally, the AKG appears to be very precise without being shrill. I won't have an opportunity to audition this equipment hands-on. I think I'm going for the AKG K702, but I am still open.

For an amp and DAC set-up, I don't want to spend more than $1300 total, $800 to a $1000 would be more comfortable and $600 would be even better if the sound quality is not pretty significantly different.

As far as amps, I'm kind of leaning toward a tube amp, simply because I like the glow of vacuum tubes. Plus, from what I've read, they can sound just as good or better than solid state (depending on what you're trying to achieve). Two phone jacks up front would be nice, but not necessary. The WooAudio 3and 6 sound like they might be good. I recall someone saying that with the Woo's you're paying a lot for the finely crafted exterior and that equal performance can be had for much less money.

As far as a DAC goes, I'm much less clear on this; however, one thing is clear. I want one that has optical and USB inputs and can handle 192/24 if needed. I also read that some think the quality of the DAC is more important than the quality of the amp.

I guess the idea of separate components is appealing in that you can then sell pieces to upgrade or change the sound signature if that's your thing. A combo amp/dac would save space, electrical plugs and wal-warts, etc. And I imagine the components would be pretty seemlessly "synergistic". The Benchmark DAC1 looks pretty nice, but way at the top of my price range with optical and usb. The Headroom stuff looks good, but in truth, when people remark on those items they frequently just say they're "nice" as opposed to the gushing you see about other brands.

I have never listened to audiophile quality headphones. Just a couple of days ago I was in Best Buy and put on some demo Dr. Dre Phones. That's the best quality phone I've heard, for about 30 seconds. I thought it was pretty impressive, so I'm expecting a really good phone/amp/dac will really be a pleasure.

Any suggestions or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back