need help choosing my first DAC
Jan 10, 2007 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gladcow

Head-Fier
hey, im looking to buy my first DAC. I'd like to keep the cost at around 100usd although i could be persuaded up to 150. i was looking at a cheap entech 203.2 but from what i understand the delta-sigma processors arent that great of quality. im not too sure where i could by one either as amazon doesnt seem to be selling them anymore, and monster's site search function doesnt reveal it as a result. The only one i can find is on ebay right now with the current bid at $40. so i figured why not look to spend a bit more money on a zhaolu. the cheapest one runs around 150 right? is the quality that much of an increase over the entech for 3 times the price? anyway i need it strictly as a DAC so there has to be a cheaper solution than the amp+DAC combo of the zhaolu right? oh yea it needs to have a digital input also, toslink to be specific but i guess it doesnt matter because i could always buy an adaptor for a couple bucks. digital plus usb inputs would be ideal but toslink is priority.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 2
ok this might be a simpler question to help narrow down my search. what is the quality of a usb->optical converter. is the strength of the digital signal affected by one of these. the only thing like it that i could find was from tiger direct...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...8696&CatId=466

on that particular item, will the conversion to surround sound affect the input from the adapter to the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back