Need help choosing mid-high end, around ear headphones with standard detachable cord (3.5 or 2.5 mm jack), 150 bucks+
Feb 24, 2014 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zodiac007

New Head-Fier
I am looking for mid-high end, around ear headphones and cable is detachable. There should be a standard 3.5 or 2.5 mm jack.
It seems Sennheiser Momentum is a good choice. Any other recommendations?

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 8
So many have it. It would help if you said what genres you listen to and what sort of sound you like.

Besides that, why do you want the detachable cable? Also, if you find a model you like that doesn't have it, you can probably mod it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks,

Some classic, some pop.

Crystal clear and decent bass.

I'd like to try some different cables to see the difference or any impacts.

Sorry, I have no idea how to mod.
blink.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 8
  Thanks,

Some classic, some pop.

Crystal clear and decent bass.

I'd like to try some different cables to see the difference or any impacts.

Sorry, I have no idea how to mod.
blink.gif

Classic = classical music or classic rock?

I forgot to ask: is isolation from outside noise an issue (open vs. closed)?

I'm supposing you're expecting to pay max. $300 because that's what Momentums cost.

You can get almost anything modded by BTG Audio. Look at the photos on their website.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 8

Classic = classical music or classic rock?

I forgot to ask: is isolation from outside noise an issue (open vs. closed)?

I'm supposing you're expecting to pay max. $300 because that's what Momentums cost.

You can get almost anything modded by BTG Audio. Look at the photos on their website.

Classical music. Closed is better.
That is right, $300 is my limit.
Thanks a lot, I will take a look at that site.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Please ignore the numbers till after you've read through.

3. Momentum (over ear) is dark sounding and pretty rich. Good for orchestral music and works with some rock. It has small earcups, so don't have large ears. 
biggrin.gif

1. SRH840 is a good all rounder, unbelievably versatile. It's warm and pretty clear. I think you'll like it more than Momentum. It has a heavy headband that you can mod yourself fairly easily with HD650 foam. There are several threads explaining how to do this with photos.

4. Two I haven't heard that are worth finding out about.

K550. The cable doesn't detach but you can get it modded. Earcups are large, so have large ears.   

2. And especially HP50.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 8
  Please ignore the numbers till after you've read through.

3. Momentum (over ear) is dark sounding and pretty rich. Good for orchestral music and works with some rock. It has small earcups, so don't have large ears. 
biggrin.gif

1. SRH840 is a good all rounder, unbelievably versatile. It's warm and pretty clear. I think you'll like it more than Momentum. It has a heavy headband that you can mod yourself fairly easily with HD650 foam. There are several threads explaining how to do this with photos.

4. Two I haven't heard that are worth finding out about.

K550. The cable doesn't detach but you can get it modded. Earcups are large, so have large ears.   

2. And especially HP50.

This is really helpful
beerchug.gif
, actually, I am thinking of HP50, how is the sound on your opinion?
And you are absolutely right, I don't have big/large ears. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 8
This is really helpful :beerchug: , actually, I am thinking of HP50, how is the sound on your opinion?
And you are absolutely right, I don't have big/large ears. :D

Great. :beerchug: HP50 is one of the "two I haven't heard that are worth finding out about." Reports I've read describe them as warm but still clear. Best to look at the dedicated thread in the main forum which included information about the size of the earcups, basically everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back