Need help choosing IEM
Jan 8, 2010 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

theduffster89

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a decent pair of canalphones for my Iphone but really can't decide which ones to get. Im torn between Ultimate Ears, Shure and Etymotic but cant decide which ones to buy.

1. I'm willing to spend between $75-$115
2. Looking for a set that is good with listening to rock/punk music
3. Good noise isolation with a good fit

What I am looking at right now are (in no particular order)
1. Etymotic Research ER6i
2. Sennheiser CX 500-T
3. Ultimate Ears SuperFi 3 Studio
4. Shure E2c
5. Shure SE110
6. Etymotic Research HF5

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 23
I would go with the HF5s, or more particularly the HF2 which is an iPhone headset version. Etymotic have just announced the HF3 at CES which has playback control buttons and will probably be out of your pricerange, but I would expect it to depress the HF2 price soonish.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 23
The ER6i's are great but have very little bass. They are excellent for jazz though!

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by theduffster89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really dont care if its a headset....im just looking for a decent pair of earphones with decent sound quality for my style of music and a good comfortable fit

But hey, you appreciate the suggestion, right?

popcorn.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But hey, you appreciate the suggestion, right?

popcorn.gif

Of course i appreciate the suggestion....I really dont know what i want right now so all suggestions are greatly appreciated

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for punk rock? Look no further than the Klipsch S4

x2

they are by far the most comfortable iem's ive ever tried with the stock tips. they offer pretty good isolation and sound great. There's a bunch of reviews and you can check out the S4 appreciation thread.

also, ive had the ER6i and it will be difficult for you to hear the bass as that is not its strong suit. You can't get better isolation at that price but does not suit your music preference.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 23
i remember the isolation being pretty similar with olives or stock tips. the only advantage imo the olives had over the stock tips were that they stuck out more thus making it easier to remove the S4 from your ear. I think if I had the S4 longer and only used the stock tips eventually there could be wiring issues near the driver since they were really small and a bit difficult to remove with the stock tips without using the wire some.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from the SF3 Studio. It's mediocre and the fit isn't very good. In your price range there are much better options.

Damn....i was kinda leaning towards those....u think they are really that bad....and do u have any suggestions on what i should get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back