need help choosing headphones
Nov 22, 2009 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hipcat

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all! awhile ago I brought a pair of sennheisers hd 265's off a friend the only head phones I owned before that were the stock ipods.The senns sound awsome compared to those. Now I'd like to get another pair of cans and read through alot of this forum but theres so much info it gets confusing. I use only an ipod for music. I have a lod and ld mkIII at home. I'm on a tight budget so used cans or not a problem ($50 to $150)What I'm looking for in a set of cans is in this order
Closed set
good sq all around sound from bottom to top. I don't need maga bass or screaming treble
big soundstage
comfortable enough to listen for hours and to fall asleep wearing
maybe if possible more portable than my 265's
I listen to classic rock, blues, Celtic, some and classical
I don't have a store close to try out cans myself or I would and I know that sound is up to the individual just looking for suggestions since the 265's are all I know. Hope I have given enough info I'm new to headphones and forums
so I hope this post is o.k. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hipcat

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 5
Never heard of a HD 265. Oh well
redface.gif

Well, there's the M50, SRH440, and D1001. There is also the A700. Big.

An open can option is the AD700. Seems to fit to your standards. FWIR, it has a anemic bass. Again, a big headphone, but REALLY comfortable.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 5
You have any Hi-fi stores near you? While testing headphones here in my city I found a drastic difference in sound not only between models, but especially between brands. Personally, I fell in love with the Grado sound, especially for rock music. It's a personal taste thing. So I suggest trying out as many as possible before making a decision.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Just one and it's a macintosh dealer most of what they have are way upper end.Other than that I really only have a best buy near me.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 5
I would definitely call or go there to see if they have headphones to try out. Even the high end dealers will sell the less expensive models, especially in the Grado line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back