Need Help Choosing Headphones That I Think I Want
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kmmcd

New Head-Fier
I am interested in acquiring a set of workhorse headphones, not for extensive listening sessions, but for occasional use to analyze specific details in some music, or for connecting at various points in my system to isolate sources of unwanted signals or anomalies. I think that some would say that I am looking for something that is "analytical." I believe that what I am looking for has the following characteristics:

1) flat frequency response (not euphonious frequency response curves)
2) closed back (for noise isolation)
3) 1/4" jack (although I understand that adapters are available for smaller connectors)
4) </= $500 if possible

From my research, I think that candidates are:

Shure 1540
Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X

However, it seems that I can get more flat response if I select the open back alternatives:

Shure 1840
Beyerdynamic DT PRO 900 X

A friend recommended EMU heasphones, but they seem to employ the "V" frequency response, and I don't think that is what I want.

Should I "compromise" and go for one of the above open-back alternatives? Or, are there other headphones I should be considering and may have overlooked? All advice is appreciated.

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 4
I am interested in acquiring a set of workhorse headphones, not for extensive listening sessions, but for occasional use to analyze specific details in some music, or for connecting at various points in my system to isolate sources of unwanted signals or anomalies. I think that some would say that I am looking for something that is "analytical." I believe that what I am looking for has the following characteristics:

1) flat frequency response (not euphonious frequency response curves)
2) closed back (for noise isolation)
3) 1/4" jack (although I understand that adapters are available for smaller connectors)
4) </= $500 if possible

From my research, I think that candidates are:

Shure 1540
Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X

However, it seems that I can get more flat response if I select the open back alternatives:

Shure 1840
Beyerdynamic DT PRO 900 X

A friend recommended EMU heasphones, but they seem to employ the "V" frequency response, and I don't think that is what I want.

Should I "compromise" and go for one of the above open-back alternatives? Or, are there other headphones I should be considering and may have overlooked? All advice is appreciated.

Flat response and closed back aint happening. Closed back always push out low frequencies more. I would get sennheiser 600/650 with that specs.

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 4
The flattest ones are hard to find. The Betrrynamic MMX300 generation 1 is flat as a pancake out to 13.5khz with a 4db narrow treble peak there. They were based on the Signum HD400 headset the EU astronauts trained with. The Gen2 is completely different. I still have a scanned manual showing the factory response chart. Used one daily for several years. Only problem is finding one, might take a few weeks of searching.

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Yeah, Beyer might be the closest to what you're looking for. But I also agree, if open back are an option you're willing to entertain, the HD600 or HD650 are DEFINITELY where I'd urge you towards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back