Need help choosing headphones for multiple purposes
Jun 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Maliris

New Head-Fier
I'm still a newbie when it comes to the world of headphones, but I've had my share of decent headphones that I have enjoyed. My last pair, AKG K 242 HD, was just laid to rest after 3 years of good service so I'm going to need another pair. I really liked the AKGs but I'm concerned about few things.

I use my headphones for BOTH listening music and making it. This is a problem because while I liked the AKGs, they were a bit flat for normal music listening. I really like that punchy bass that you can really feel in your ear, without overpowering mids and highs. I liked how bright my AKGs were, but a little more bass would be appreciated. However they were pretty good for mixing and mastering and such. So I kind of want best of both worlds if that's possible. I like to listen mostly rock and metal, but I like music of all sorts so sometimes I listen some acoustic and orchestral music for example.

1. I have a budget of ~150$
  2. I would really prefer not having an amp.
  3. Mostly for indoor use. Plugged to my computer
  4. I like over the ear headphones and comfort like my AKGs had is a big plus.
  5. I prefer open-back headphones
  6. I'm a bit rough with my headphones so a strong cord or replaceable one is preferred.

So basically I want a similar pair to AKG K 242 HDs, but with a little more pronounced and stronger bass. I realize I'll probably have to compromise, but I want to get as close as possible.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 4
  Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro might be for you.

Well after reading a bit about these, they do seem very good, but I have a pretty noob question about these. It reads that their impedance is 250 ohms, which is pretty high so I guess they are going to need an amp. I happen to have Technics SU-X101 stereo amp lying around, which I use with my speakers so would they work as a headphone amp too?

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Whether they need an amp or not depends entirely on the source you will be using, and the only way to know if it has the beans is to simply try it out, because you never really know how it will behave until you do. (ok, normally you can guess quite accurately if you know the resistance and sensitivity numbers)

For example, my vintage 600 Ohm Beyer DT990 runs happily straight out of a tiny cheap PCM2704 USB DAC at 50% volume, but my 600 Ohm Sennheiser HD520 sounds feeble at 100%.

I would bet that most modern soundcards will run the 250 Ohm DT990 fairly well, if not very well.

The Technics stereo amp would do a fine job of amping these headphones, but it's a bit over the top IMO, as it's a really energy-inefficient way of amping them 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back