Need help choosing headphones for all music genres! (<$400)
Jul 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Xeculus

100+ Head-Fier

Wanted to get IEMs, but long story short, family said no. They think IEMs are bad for one's hearing. 

So I guess I'm looking for headphones now. The upside is they are giving me extra money to buy them, so can't say I'm complaining.  
tongue.gif

I listen to almost all types of music: pop, rock, hip-hop, rap, alternative, dance, etc. 
Looking for a musical sound, say for example, the D2000/5000.

Going to be running them out of an iPod touch 5G with no amp. 

Any recommendations? 

A few quick headphones that popped into my head are the Denon D600 and HD600 (which is iffy because no amp).
If it's worth anything, I have a Bose QC15, though really it's not much of a reference point. 

Thanks for any help! 

Edit: Err, forgot to mention whether closed or open. Not sure what I want atm really... I'll probably be only using them at home, so anything goes. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 11
I'd think about the AKG K550 if you aren't running an amp. Granted the bass response increases with even a cheap portable but strait out of an iPod they have the best soundstage for a closed headphone I've heard. Getting a seal is a little tricky sometimes but the sound those babies pump out is awesome!

I'd also recommend the Mad Dogs but those really benefit from an amp. If you NEED super bass check out the Pro 900. They worked great out of my iPhone. I'd stay away from the HD600 if you aren't going to amp it.

I probably should've asked but are you partial to open or closed? If you don't mind having open HPs and soundstage is your #1 priority then the HD598s are the best in your price range without an amp.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I probably should've asked but are you partial to open or closed? If you don't mind having open HPs and soundstage is your #1 priority then the HD598s are the best in your price range without an amp.

Oops, I copied portions out of my IEM advice thread. My bad if I made it sound like I was focusing on soundstage.

I actually am looking for something similar to the Denon D2000s. 

I'm not sure yet if I want open or closed. I guess I'm open to both at the moment (no pun intended!)

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Depending on the volume you listen to the open back ones, they'll wish you went with an IEM. Outdoors or indoor listening?

I'll be listening indoors. Generally, I don't listen very loud. For IEMs I listen to usually about 35% volume and on the Bose headphones, I listen to about 50% volume.

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Are the D2000s/D5000s out of the question? I don't know how important this is but in the short time I had the D5000s they gave me tinnitus... Probably because I was listening too loud.

I'm afraid so, considering they are now discontinued and the current asking prices are pretty ridiculous. And I'm restricted to buying only from Amazon (using credit balance).

So thus, the D600s have caught my eye.

Any thoughts?

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 11
The D600 is a very musical headphone. At first the bass is very strong (almost overpowering) but with about 40-50 hours of burn-in, it really starts to settle down. The mids are recessed a bit but the highs are clear. It's definitely not tuned to a "flat EQ" as the box reads, but it's a fun sound. Great for pop, rock, metal and hip-hop. They are very comfortable too.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Okay!! I just came back from the local Best Buy Magnolia with some experiences to share!! 
(pretty excited since this was my very first time listening to "hi-fi" headphones) 

The only 3 notable models out for demo were the Momentum, the D600, and AKG K550. Only preset songs were available. I listened to "Move Likes Jagger" - Maroon 5 and a familiar sounding classical track whose name I didn't know. So anyways...

D600 
I've always wanted these and I grabbed them first. Despite what some think, I really love the curvy design.
I readjusted the extender thingy to all the way back as the headphones kept falling off my head, but they were still kind of big. I felt the bottom of the earcups extended too low and created a slightly awkward feeling. 

I put them on and started "Moves Like Jagger". The first thing I noticed was BASS. I don't think I've ever heard this much bass. "Moves Like Jagger" has a lot of thumping bass throughout the song, especially right at the start. In fact, so much that at first I felt a little nauseous/sick. It improved over time, but, never thought I'd say this, but I still found the bass to be a little too much.

For the classical track, these weren't too bad. Not much to say since my time was limited. I think the difference is comparable to the Momentum, but of course, I didn't get to listen very long or carefully.  

Annoyed, I put on the K550s. Hmm, not too bad. The lighter bass was welcome after the D600 pulverization. I thought the vocals and (highs?) sounded better on the D600s though. For the rest of the time, I mainly switched back and forth between the Momentum and the D600. 

Momentum
Too be honest, I wasn't expecting these to be better than the D600. Maybe because they looked smaller or something, not sure. Anyways, I put them on, started "Moves Like Jagger" and just... WOW. The clarity of the vocals and highs was something I've never heard before. Adam Levine definitely sounded better on the Momentum over the D600. Bass was MUCH more tolerable and along the lines what I am looking for. I continued switching back and forth between the D600 and the Momentum. I think I like the sound of the Momentums more overall. 

On the classical track, again, not much time spent on it, so not much to say. I think the Momentum sounded slightly better, but not too sure. I think some rings of (the harpsichord?) sounded more "euphonic" 

~~~~

Based on this experience, what should I do now? Do the D600 change much over time or do they stay that way? 
Are there any headphones that are similar to the Momentum? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back