need help choosing headphones all round under $300
Dec 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

lja1125

Head-Fier
Hi,

There are a lot of headphones out there, and it's so difficult to find one that i want. so, let me get some help from you guys.

I'm looking for headphones to listen to music with my computer, watching movies, and playing games.

I don't mind opened, or closed, and my budget is limited by under $300. 

I like huge sound stage, and don't like too much bass. I'm using sm3 v2 with my nexus 5 and ipad air, but i think i like more triple.fi 10pro.

so, i like to have any recommendations. plz give me some list.

Thanks,

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 5
there are literally tons of headphones right now at the sub-$300 price point.

Off the top of my head for closed, I would look at the Momentum ($300 at razer dog), AKG K550/K545 (can be found for $200ish), and MDR-1R (sub-$200)... in that order. I haven't gotten a chance to try a lot of the newer closed portable offerings, but huge sound stage w/o too much bass sounds like exactly like AKG, so I would highly recommend you demo those. 

For open, AKG q701 is $220 would meet your requirements. If you can find a HE-400 on sale for $300 (the black friday promotion may be done though), that is absolutely hands-down the best performance:price you can get for $300. I haven't tried as many open headphones. So maybe someone else can jump in here.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 5
  there are literally tons of headphones right now at the sub-$300 price point.

Off the top of my head for closed, I would look at the Momentum ($300 at razer dog), AKG K550/K545 (can be found for $200ish), and MDR-1R (sub-$200)... in that order. I haven't gotten a chance to try a lot of the newer closed portable offerings, but huge sound stage w/o too much bass sounds like exactly like AKG, so I would highly recommend you demo those. 

For open, AKG q701 is $220 would meet your requirements. If you can find a HE-400 on sale for $300 (the black friday promotion may be done though), that is absolutely hands-down the best performance:price you can get for $300. I haven't tried as many open headphones. So maybe someone else can jump in here.

Thanks, 

I've tried K702 a year ago. It was so comfortable, but it wasn't my taste. I like sound stage of it, but i think it was so lack of bass. I don't like too much bass, and don't like less bass, too. I've not listened Q701, but if it's similar to k702, it won't be my taste.

and, I tried HE-500, but i really like it, but too heavy for me. I couldn't use it more than 1 hr. I don't know how lighter he-400 is than he-500.

If HE400 is much lighter than he500, it would be great choice for me.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 5
HE 400 is not light!
have you looked mad dog?

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 5
  HE 400 is not light!
have you looked mad dog?

The HE 400 at 440 grams are not light, but they are not comfortably heavy either (esp when you get a headband cushion). HE 500 is 502g. The comfortable light Sennheiser HD600 is 260g. Mad dogs are closed headphones at $300, and a great choice if you looking specifically for a closed planar magnetic pair of headphones, but they aren't any lighter than the HE400 (I think around 440g also and I heard that the HE400 performs better from people who A-Bed em). Orthos are generally heavier than dynamic headphones.

If the AKG is too bass-light for you, you should demo the Momentums (they are fairly neutral w/ a slight bass boost)... if the Momentums are too bass-light for you, then you are not looking for bass-light headphones. There are seriously a ton of options in this price range. It's hard to give recommendations unless you have an idea of what sound signature you are looking for. What other headphones have you tried that you really liked?

Also, the beyer dt880 have a lot of fans, but I've never heard em personally. classic favorites are the sennheiser hd600/650, but those are just above your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back