Need help choosing headphones (~300€) for music & gaming, & possibly soundcard / amp / dac too
Sep 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Deadly Fish

New Head-Fier
So like the title says, im looking for new (fullsize) headphones for music & gaming, for around 300€, and possibly soundcard, amp & dac. I listen music & play games on PC, so wires aren't any problem.
AC-DC, Black Sabbath, Dio, DragonForce, Dream Theater, Guns N' Roses, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Lamb of God, Metallica, Slash, etc..
I listen mostly rock & metal. I thinked getting headset first, but for that price, i think getting decent headphones is the best option. The music part is more important, the games sound good anyway if the music does, & all those 5.1/7.1 things doesn't really matter, i can hear everything damn well with stereo too, at least from my experience.

So the headphones, i'd like them to sound pretty neutral, so the music sounds as it meant to sound, so not any bass boost or anything like that. I've been looking Beyerdynamic 880's, but some say they are pretty bass heavy, so are they how heavy on bass? And what about the other models of DT 880's? How about DT 990's & other modes?

Then about so called open headphones, do they really "leak" much sound? Of course, that depends 'bout the headphones, but can that be said in general? I read that open headphones have better soundstage, is that so? Of course that depends too.. If i just can i try to go test some open headphones in any nearby stores, so i can say it myself.

And then, i propably should get decent soundcard too? Because, the on-board audio on my PC is what it is.. So should i get internal (PCI / PCI-E), or external soundcard? Then, if that soundcard has place for mic, does it affect the sound of it? For example, would Asus Xonar U7 be good external soundcard for it's price (~100€)? Im ready to spend 'bout 100-200€ on soundcard.

Headphone amp i need anyway if im getting like some 250Ω headphones, so can you recommend any good ones? Or if you think that Xonar U7 is good, is the amp inside it good too? I don't really know anything 'bout the prices of headphone amps, doesn't need to be best on the world, so can i get a good one somwhere between 50-150€?

What about DAC? Does DAC have big part in good audio quality? And in what price can i get a decent one?

So the headphones are the main thing right now, and of course, make your own recommendations of headphones, from your own experience would be the best, 'cause anything can look good on paper..

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 2
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500) sound card.
Then spend the rest of your budget for headphones.
Headphones in the range of 30-Ohms to 120-Ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back