Need help choosing headphone amp
Dec 27, 2014 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

drofeel71

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

Been using these forums now for close to a year, and have gleaned much info from the various well informed members.

I'm in need of some advice please.

I own an AK100 mk1, and am in need of a suitable headphone amp to pair it with, from which I'll be running a pair of AKG K550.

I listen to many genres of music, all encoded as FLAC, and my budget is approximately £100.

Finally I'm not fussed if the amp is portable or desktop, just that it pairs well with my current kit.

Thanks in advance.

drofeel71

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the input re the two Fiio amps, I was looking for something other than an amp by Fiio, I have the E11k as an interim, which I do quite like, but want one with a more expansive soundstage. Wondering about the Cayin c5, but am a little wary of the build quality after reading its thread.

Any other suggestions

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the input re the two Fiio amps, I was looking for something other than an amp by Fiio, I have the E11k as an interim, which I do quite like, but want one with a more expansive soundstage. Wondering about the Cayin c5, but am a little wary of the build quality after reading its thread.

Any other suggestions

Bear in mind those 2 also have dac in them.

http://www.headfonia.com/cayin-c5-bubbly-baby/

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 8
I dont know if they will pair with your headphones but the FiiO e10k and FiiO e17 has got alot of possitive feedback.

Not really interested in a dac+amp, as the dac in my AK100 is good enough for me, just want best bang for buck amp around £100. But thanks for the info.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 8
Ok, so I've narrowed it down to two possibilities I think.

Either the Cayin C5, which gives me a portable option as well, or the Bravo Audio Ocean, as I'm intrigued by the tube sound.

Does anyone have any opinions they can throw in the mix, to help me in my choice. Thanks again all for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back