Need help choosing good headphones around 200$, listen to Rock, Metal, Progressive, and Rap
Nov 4, 2011 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Audiophile2

New Head-Fier
I am new to the world of Hi-Fi Audio, but still place the most importance on sound. I'm looking for some new cans that will sound great without breaking the bank. (as I'm only 14 and cant work full time yet) Two pairs that I have looked at are the Grado SR225s and Audio-Technica M-50s. I tried the Grados out today (directly out of Ipod playing some remastered Pink Floyd) and loved the sound! The only problem is that I will be using them at school which can get noisy sometimes. I have heard good reviews for both headphones and don't know which to get. The other thing to take into consideration is whether or not I need am Amp and how much I should spend on it. If I don't need an amp, I would be willing to spend a little more on the headphones. Any response is helpful, thanks.

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 11
I sold my M50s about a year ago, was quite sad to see them go.  They sound quite good straight through an iPod but pair them with a decent amp and they take it to a whole different level.  Solid bass, clear mids and highs, hard to ask for more in their price range.  That said, the Grados may be a little better suited for the classic rock if reviews are to be believed.  Either way I think you're making an excellent purchase!

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Save a few dollars.

Some semi-open headphones and all under 60-Ohms.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Beyer EDT 200 Velour ear pads, 56-Ohm.
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux), 32-Ohm
Superlux HD-668B, 56-Ohm

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 11
The m50s are a great pair with my PA2v2 amp! :D

Nov 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 11
if you can go for the senn HD25, there is no reason to think about the M50. and they are also tough-er than the M50 and block outer noises a big deal. you might have issues with comfort, some people say so, I dont have issues with mine.

plus it is also detachable cord.

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if you can go for the senn HD25, there is no reason to think about the M50. and they are also tough-er than the M50 and block outer noises a big deal. you might have issues with comfort, some people say so, I dont have issues with mine.

plus it is also detachable cord.

If the Senns are tougher than the M50, they must be made of cast iron...my M50s were solid as a rock...

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 11
^ 110% flexible rugged plastic. 

let just say if you trow both at a wall several times, the M50 will break apart first, of course I have no tried that with mines 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 5, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Nov 6, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm aware that the Grados wont isolate sound very well. However if they sound better over all, then I will use them for home use and get a cheap pair for noisy environment. Thanks for the input on the Amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back