Need help choosing from your experience, getting frustrated with headphones
Jan 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Androktasiai

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am relatively new into the hi-fi end of headphone audio. I currently run a system from my computer that I built. it is as follows:

Computer>Musiland 02 DAC>Using Moon-Audio BL-1 Silver Sonic RCA interconnects>Graham Slee Novo Amplifier>Headphones

I currently own Sennheiser HD 650 headphones as well as some other lower quality headphones.

I also have a Schiit Lyr Amplifier on order that is currently being shipped to me, and have placed an order for a Schiit Bifrost that is backlogged and is supposed to ship early February to me.

I listen to alot of different kinds of music including:

Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows, The Verve Pipe, Florence + The Machine, First Aid Kit, Coldplay, William Fitzsimmons, Blues Traveler, Smashing Pumpkins, Our Lady Peace, Mumford and Sons, etc.

However, I sometimes dabble in other genres such as classical, dubstep, electronica, jazz, trance, rap, r&b, among others.

My question is this:

I used to own a pair of Alessandro MS-1is, which I loved due to their clarity and I actually somewhat liked the front and center treble, but they had no bass to them and that kept me wanting more. They ended up getting a short in the right cable and I sold them to another user on head-fi here just recently, that actually has the skill to fix them.

So anyways, I purchased these HD 650s and have been auditioning them for a couple of weeks using Foobar and using FLAC audio tracks, and I just don't feel as if the clarity is there. Additionally, on some tracks, Dave Matthews Band - #41 for instance, the soundstaging makes the guitar always come out of the left earphone and not the right earphone, which to me just seems like I'm getting hit in the left ear with alot of sound, and the right ear is just hearing percussion type instruments.

So the things I like from what I have heard so far:

1. I loved the highs and forward mids of the Alessandro MS-1i
  2. I like the higher amount of bass from the HD 650s
  3. While the soundstaging seems "strange to me on the HD 650s, I do like the amount of detail present.

I've been thinking about getting a woodied pair of Grados such as RS-1i, etc. or possibly Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000's or something like that...

Can someone recommend me a headphone from all of that information that will fit what I am trying to find?

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 8
You should have gone for the HD600 or DT880 if clarity is what you're after - or even better, the HD800 or T1. I know what you're going through.. Heard the HD650 and am not a big fan of their dark signature.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 8
I think your best bet is the hd600 especially since your getting a Lyr and it's essentially less dark than the hd650's and maybe some equinox cables or diy some Navships milspec silver copper cable from ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/navships/m.html if you think the equinox is too dear basically what the milspec cable does is that the copper enhances the bass freqs while the silver balances this out enhancing the upper treble freqs (there's an old discussion on this http://www.head-fi.org/t/250436/silver-plated-copper-wire-how-good and furthur help in http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-117901.html, if youre still not satisfied try then ripping your music at 256K VBR Lame and add WASAPI to Foobar the difference will be subtle but I think WASAPI increases the SQ somewhat but then again maybe it's a placebo:D.
If youre still not satisfied after all this, then a little EQ doesn't hurt:) though not to much a little db up or down the sub 75hz and upper presence range freqs and then get the RS1 maybe later in your quest to achieve a different sound, especially if you like rock or metal.
From there you could try the MS1000 with the hole punch mod to increase bass with your MS1i, the SA5000 if you're obsessed with clarity, or heck even the MS2i...check out the MS2i appreciation thread BTW, though the MS2i is brighter than the MS1i.
About HifiMan never heard any...sorry, and remember it's about the music you can equally enjoy music on a £50 can compared to a £500 one:)

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 8
I can only say good things about Beyerdynamic DT 880 and The T1 Tesla. Both are absolutely amazing headphones when it comes to clarity. They have a bit of forwardness to them (especially the T1, with a nice hint of grado brightness on the highs, beautiful mids and really controlled, impactful, and tight bass!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back