Need help choosing first pair of quality over ear, closed back headphones. My budget is about 200 dollars, possibly a bit more. Will be using with a modmic to become a gaming headset. More info in post
Jan 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Antuna

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! Newbie here...

Looking for a pair of headphones that are closed back and over ear.  My plan is to add a modmic and use this as my gaming headset and high quality pair of headphones.  Aside from gaming, I listen to classic rock and indie rock, occasional electronic, but not very often.  Im looking for something that will be benefited a lot from a DAC/AMP combo down the line (I plan on the Schiit Magni/Modi combo or maybe something else in that price range)

Any advice? If you have any questions about things I left out (sorry, Im new!) feel free to ask!

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 9
The beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm cans are always a favorite for games and music. Down the line, the Schiit M+M combo should work great as well. The audio technica ath-a900x are a great alternative, though you will have to carefully bend the metal supports to your head's characteristics at times (cups can weigh down support is not modded).

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks! Can 80 ohms be powered by onboard audio (during the time before I buy an amp)? Also, which of those is the most comfortable, as I will be using these for many hours on end. Should have mentioned that before. I dont really like Audio technica's headband rest thing, on the ath a900x's. 

On another note, do you know how the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's sound? They are priced similarly to the DT770's but I think they look better, and they have that bass port thing, which from what I can tell, opens up the cans a bit.  For me thats a great feature, because when I am in a situation where I could use open backs, I could open the bass port and enjoy a little bit of openness.

What are your thoughts? I would love to hear from a true audiophile!

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 9
The Beyerdynamic COP are more for deep acoustical bass, where the dt770s are more for deep electrical bass. If you are gaming more, the dt770s. If you listen more, the COP will do slightly better. If both are equally done, the dt770s. Also, there is more experience with the dt770s and amps. However, the COPs have many unexplored waters and do entice the most adventurous of ears.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 9
The Beyerdynamic COP are more for deep acoustical bass, where the dt770s are more for deep electrical bass. If you are gaming more, the dt770s. If you listen more, the COP will do slightly better. If both are equally done, the dt770s. Also, there is more experience with the dt770s and amps. However, the COPs have many unexplored waters and do entice the most adventurous of ears.

Awesome, sounds like I should get the DT770s. Down the line, when I get and amp and dad, what do you recommend? Thanks!

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 9
Awesome, sounds like I should get the DT770s. Down the line, when I get and amp and dad, what do you recommend? Thanks!

Wow, went from head-fi poster, to audiophile, and then to dad. So honored am I :). Hehe, so yeah, the jds labs products will work well (any model for dt770 80ohms) or leckerton audio is highly regarded for those with room in their pockets. If not portable, any plug-in source with a headphone jack will do, unless it is well-known not to work, so google search your source and how it works with the dt770.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 9
haha *dac but I figure you knew that! I just kind of assumed you were an audiophile :p. Are 80ohms able to be powered by onboard sound? Because I probably wont be able to get a AMP/DAC for a few months. Otherwise, those brands look awesome! I will look at them when the time comes to buy an amp/dac.

Thanks for your help! I should be buying the DT770's relatively soon!

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for your input. I decided to go ahead and buy the Magni/Modi and 250 Ohm DT 770's today, as opposed to waiting.  Im really excited for when they are delivered! Thanks for your help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back