Need help choosing first high end headphones
Jun 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TheKingOfDucks

New Head-Fier
Hi. I'm new on this site, but have browsed it for a while now. I am. Youtuber and want to be able to play the games I love in high quality, listen to music, and edit my videos daily. The two pairs of headphones I am looking at are the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and the Sennheiser HD598. I know almost everything about these headphones except which one will suit me. My favourite game is Skyrim, I want a very immersive, real sound when I play it as well as horror games,so a good sound stage. I'll also be playing GTA V, Far cry 4, Minecraft, and games like that. I like many different genres of music, classic rock, Mumford and sons, classical, and some rap. Which of these two pairs would best fit my tastes in games, music, and my daily editing? I don't have an amp or dac, I would rather not to get one but I will if I have to. Thank you for any replies

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 20
What is your budget?  The HD598 are a bit light on the bass and for gaming you might want something different to give you more impact for explosions and such. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 20
What is your budget?  The HD598 are a bit light on the bass and for gaming you might want something different to give you more impact for explosions and such. 
I haven't really thought of a budget. I'm certainly not a bass head, I just want to be as immersed as possible in what I'm playing. My budget would probably be 250 dollars in Canada

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 20
I haven't really thought of a budget. I'm certainly not a bass head, I just want to be as immersed as possible in what I'm playing. My budget would probably be 250 dollars in Canada

Having that impact there for explosions and whatnot will definitely make for a more immersive experience.  The Beyer might be a good choice, as they have good bass and very detailed treble.  You need to be mindful of which version you buy though, the 80 or 250 ohm versions will need extra amplification.    

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 20
Having that impact there for explosions and whatnot will definitely make for a more immersive experience.  The Beyer might be a good choice, as they have good bass and very detailed treble.  You need to be mindful of which version you buy though, the 80 or 250 ohm versions will need extra amplification.    
Thank you for that. I do know that the dt990 pro has a higher clamping force, smaller soundtage and more bass. Which would be better for my needs, the pro or the premium? Thanks

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 20
Thank you for that. I do know that the dt990 pro has a higher clamping force, smaller soundtage and more bass. Which would be better for my needs, the pro or the premium? Thanks

It's been a while since I heard them, I believe I heard the Pro, you may want to check in the owner's thread for someone who can offer a good comparison.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 20
I would check out Fidelio X1 or X2 for gaming. I used to use both DT990 and HD600 for gaming.Dumped them both for X1

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 20
Get the DT990 Premium 32 Ohm model. The soundstage is huge, the bass excellent and well controlled and they can be easily driven. Another great choice are the beyerdynamic Custom Pro with the cable which has a large microphone for a great gaming experience.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 20
Get the DT990 Premium 32 Ohm model. The soundstage is huge, the bass excellent and well controlled and they can be easily driven. Another great choice are the beyerdynamic Custom Pro with the cable which has a large microphone for a great gaming experience.
If I'm getting the dt990 I'd rather the 250 ohm pro edition. The 32 ohm premium is significantly more expensive and I've heard doesn't sound as good as the 250 ohm. I will probably be pairing with a fiio e10k, but I am open to suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back