Need help choosing Fiio X3 or Audioquest Dragonfly
Sep 16, 2015 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nemoona

100+ Head-Fier
First off, I know this is a weird question.
Comparing a DAP to a DAC/Amp.
I'd like to know which has better sound quality. The Fiio X3 II or the Audioquest Dragonfly.
I do know some specs (X3 is more portable, Dragonfly doesn't connect to phones, X3 needs an SD)
Recently I was set on buying the X3 soon, I even got a resounding "yes" from Head-if members.
I am planning on using the device unamped with the Sennheiser HD 558, which is 50 ohms.
I didn't want the Dragonfly because I previously thought it to be just a DAC. Not a DAC/Amp.
I'm looking for an open, natural, and present listening experience to compliment the 558's.
I might be open to other suggestions but I'd prefer to keep it simple.
The reason I want to know if the Dragonfly is as good or better than the X3 is because it would be much cheaper, and I could do with the extra $$$.
Portability isn't a huge thing for me since the 558's are open-back anyways, but it would be nice to bring it anywhere I want.
I'm probably gonna lean towards the X3 but I could be swayed.
Solid answers are preferred but I'm fine digging into the details of it gets complicated.

Thanks to any who answer.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 6
I know I'd hate to be the guy to bump his own thread but it's been 6 days and I doubt I'd get any answers if I left the post alone.
I'm planning on purchasing whatever I get in less than a month.
All I want to know is if the Audioquest Dragonfly sounds as good or better than the Fiio X3 ii and if it can power 50 ohm headphones.
If the answer ends up being Dragonfly I could save a lot of money.
If you want to suggest something else I'm ok with that, I just want a DAP or portable DAC/Amp.
I'm ok doing more research, just not looking through 10 devices for one I like.
I'm looking for a high value per dollar device that has a natural, open, clear, and present listening experience.
Any advice would be nice.
If I don't get answers I'll just walk in to the store and make a quick clarification before I purchase.

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Let me answer then.
Apparently you mentioned you want a DAP or portable DAC/Amp.
Well, the X3 falls into both category, you can use it as DAC from your laptop. When going out, it can be used as DAP.
Simple as that. X3 is more expensive but has lot more functions.

Sound wise, I can't comment. I have an X3 I that I use as DAP but don't have the Dragonfly (although I have something similar).
But if you want huge sound improvement, I'd suggest buying new headphones instead.
Now it is up to you to set your priority.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 6
First off, I know this is a weird question.
Comparing a DAP to a DAC/Amp.
I'd like to know which has better sound quality. The Fiio X3 II or the Audioquest Dragonfly.
I do know some specs (X3 is more portable, Dragonfly doesn't connect to phones, X3 needs an SD)
Recently I was set on buying the X3 soon, I even got a resounding "yes" from Head-if members.
I am planning on using the device unamped with the Sennheiser HD 558, which is 50 ohms.
I didn't want the Dragonfly because I previously thought it to be just a DAC. Not a DAC/Amp.
I'm looking for an open, natural, and present listening experience to compliment the 558's.
I might be open to other suggestions but I'd prefer to keep it simple.
The reason I want to know if the Dragonfly is as good or better than the X3 is because it would be much cheaper, and I could do with the extra $$$.
Portability isn't a huge thing for me since the 558's are open-back anyways, but it would be nice to bring it anywhere I want.
I'm probably gonna lean towards the X3 but I could be swayed.
Solid answers are preferred but I'm fine digging into the details of it gets complicated.

Thanks to any who answer.

From the brief week I had my Dragonfly before it broke, there was no volume knob or control on it and the volume was only very slightly louder than normal headphone outs. The quality was very good but I wouldn't say the X3 or Dragonfly had a noticeable edge in sound quality. So if you're looking for a sound quality edge you're not going to find one. 

The X3 appears to have a much more powerful amp section, with high and low gain. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for your help guys.

Quote:
  The quality was very good but I wouldn't say the X3 or Dragonfly had a noticeable edge in sound quality. So if you're looking for a sound quality edge you're not going to find one. 

Do you have a suggestion for something with better sound quality for the price?
The more value I can get, the better.
I don't want to venture any higher than the X3 in price, it's already beyond the top of my previous budget and I don't want to spend more on a DAP than my headphones would be worth retail.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks for your help guys.

Do you have a suggestion for something with better sound quality for the price?
The more value I can get, the better.
I don't want to venture any higher than the X3 in price, it's already beyond the top of my previous budget and I don't want to spend more on a DAP than my headphones would be worth retail.

For amp/DAC *maybe* the Cayin C6, and only because it's a bit more powerful, but it's not a DAP like the X3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back