Need Help Choosing Bookshelf Speakers
Jul 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Among these I'd say the Epic2s are the best value. I wouldn't even consider the Diamonds at this price range, but do take note here in SEAsia I can get those for around $175 and for $300 I was able to get the Pacific Evo10's, so that might be skewing my judgment (they're extremely good value for $175 though, beat only by local low volume speaker makers/DIY-ers; others are cheaper online but shipping going here plus customs can double the price).

Stumbled on this thread with a similar issue.  Just tried out a pair of the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's (returned) and then 10.0's, but I'm not really liking them. They were bought as a replacement for a 10+ year old set of Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers I've finally decided to scrap.  Most of the reviews I saw online had them as solid performers but they sound very muddy to me.  Tempted to go with those active adam a3x's next.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Stumbled on this thread with a similar issue.  Just tried out a pair of the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's (returned) and then 10.0's, but I'm not really liking them. They were bought as a replacement for a 10+ year old set of Cambridge Soundworks computer speakers I've finally decided to scrap.  Most of the reviews I saw online had them as solid performers but they sound very muddy to me.  Tempted to go with those active adam a3x's next.

From my experience Wharfedales are picky with amps - what you save on them, especially with SEA prices, easily goes into the amps. I did alright because at the time I got my Diamond 8.1's for $99 (followed later by 8.4, then finally the Pacific Pi10's, in the interim got to try out the others) I stumbled on a factory sale for sealed box NAD304's for around $85, and it ran all of them (pretty much anything I hooked up to them, including Dyns) beautifully. They need some break-in* to loosen up the mechanical parts but nothing like what people here do with K701s.

Other than NAD** I've liked some high-ouput T-Amps on them. Low power models have great detail and soundstage, and do alright at 1m, but at regular speaker set-up distance they tend to lack the oomph needed for grander presentations. Did well with, for example, audiophile CD tracks with one vocalist and an acoustic band; came up waaay short with symphonic and prog metal as the percussion seemed to lack energy and the multiple instruments playing gets muddled up in the details (you can't follow fast guitar riffs and violin strokes, etc, but I can easily do that on the NAD).

I'd hazard a guess those Adam active monitors would be a good choice. BTW, what source are you using? And what amp did you use with the Wharfedales?

*I'm not kidding, at some point the 8.1 totally went from boring flat with muddy bass to warm with solid bass after a few hours of listening, then I went back to the previous tracks, and it sounds different. Ran it overnight, left for work, powered up the system and listened again, still flat but muddy; then while I was getting a bottle of beer, it switched to the next track and it sounds different. Went back to the previous tracks and it really was different.

**save for the 315, they're thin yet muddy with that

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
I'd hazard a guess those Adam active monitors would be a good choice. BTW, what source are you using? And what amp did you use with the Wharfedales?

I've got everything running usb from my computer into the DACmini PX right now.  I prefer the Soloist as a headphone amp by a small margin but I wanted everything integrated into 1 compact desktop rig. 

The Wharfedales are brand new, and I don't have them on stands off my desk yet, so that may be contributing to the poor sound.  So I'm planning on giving them a week or so burn in, and putting some of that auralex mopad foam under them.  But if nothing changes I'll probably sell them off at a slight loss.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #20 of 24

If you want something in the same budget range for passive speakers, I can suggest the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs. Very neutral sound, and the 6.5" driver has excellent transient response, giving them very good clarity in the mids and midbass. The SEAS tweeter is the same brand (but better quality) than the one used in the NHT Classic Threes.

The Wharfedales are brand new, and I don't have them on stands off my desk yet, so that may be contributing to the poor sound.  So I'm planning on giving them a week or so burn in, and putting some of that auralex mopad foam under them.  But if nothing changes I'll probably sell them off at a slight loss.

I've been told by a speaker designer that the mopads don't do what people claim about resonance. If your desktop surface itself is vibrating, it can help with that. But otherwise, should not make a difference in SQ based on the absorption claims. The bigger advantage is that they can angle the tweeters at your ears. If you don't have the mopads yet, try some books and raise them up to ear height. That can give you some perspective on whether or not placement is your problem.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:
I'm getting my first "serious" two-channel system and would like some help choosing speakers. I'd like to keep it under $500 for the pair.  The system will be used in a small living room and will be used almost exclusively for music. I listen to mainly alt. rock, with a healthy dose of jazz, and I listen to classical while studying.  In this price range, I was originally looking at B&W 686 ($480), which I've listened to and like, but I also found Polk's LSi7 for sale for on ebay $400, new from Polk with warranty, etc.

From what I've read, the LSi7s sound great and are a steal at this price, but I'm a little worried about buying speakers I've never listened to (and can't anywhere near where I live). They also have a reputation of being hard to drive. They're rated at 20-150W at 4Ohm, and the Amp I'm planning on buying is a NuForce DDA-100 and puts out 75W/channel at 4 Ohm, and I won't be playing them that loud in my small room, so I think I'm OK.

That's what I'm looking at so far, but I'm also open to other suggestions for speakers. What does everyone think?

Take reviews with a grain of salt.  Remember, these are your ears and not ours.  Everyone, believe it or not, hears differently.  I would recommend checking out local speaker dealers and take with you the music you know best and do a demo.  For one, you support local businesses and you can choose carefully.  If you have listened to the B&W and enjoyed the sound thoroughly, then maybe the B&W is for you.

Best of luck,
Destroysall

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 24
I got the same deal on the Epic 2s from Music Direct - $399 and I've had them for about three weeks now. I have listened to them quite a bit at all different volumes, different types of music and formats - i.e.: vinyl and mp3s through my Marantz DAC. First, I have to say, at that price these things are a total deal and I would encourage anyone to get them. With that said, I do wonder at their original price of $799 if there aren't other equal or better options. 

Most of the reviews I've read of the Epic 2s are pretty much glowing, but perhaps the only consistent "criticism" is that while they are incredibly "fun" to listen to, in striving for the wow factor they can be a little too playful… I am imagining  a cute puppy who bites to much. Interestingly, the criticisms have been more of their brightness (and they are bright), and reviewers have been unanimously complimentary of their base - describing it as "defined and punchy". I will say that they are indeed bassy, and often deliciously so, but my one concern from the first listen has been the lack of "definition" - i.e.: cloudy rumble of the bass on certain tracks at high volume. I read in the manual that EPOS recommends a break in period and they specifically mention the bass in this regard. I've listened to them quite a bit now and feel that I have noticed a real improvement, but they still do seem to get a little cloudy at times.

I notice that Mr. Pink said the same thing up above so I sent him a message asking if his improved. I hope to hear back.

Hope this helps prospective buyers. They are pretty freaking amazing.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #23 of 24
check out some used silverline bookshelf speakers at audiogon . IMO they are excellent and easy to drive .
i use a pair of silverline 11 and im using a sophia electric el34 amp with only 35 per channel . amazing !!!

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #24 of 24
Infinity Primus P163, best 80.00 speakers you could buy imo. Read the reviews around em, if your budget is low the P163 is a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back