Need help choosing between V-Moda Crossfade m80 and Momentum On Ear.
Dec 30, 2013 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GangXtaZz

New Head-Fier
Hi.I'm looking to buy a pair of portable headphones and it comes down to these two(still open for other recommendations).
I can get the v-moda's for 170$, the momentum for 270$.. i like the momentum's design better.. but i'm willing to sacrifice that for the extra money.
I am interested to know which one is louder, has better bass, and a better overall sound quality.
The loudness is a very important thing to me, since i had the HD 439 previously, and returned them for not being loud enough, the sound quality was great though :frowning2:.
As a source i use either my phone, Htc One X, or my pc with Xonar DG soundcard (with the built in headphone amp).
I also had the Razer tiamat 2.2, those were loud enough when listening to them amped with my soundcard (much louder than the hd 439), but the sound quality sucked, and they weren't comfortable enough for me.(note that i wear glasses).
As for music genres i mainly listen to alot of dubstep, electronic music, metalcore, but also enjoy listening to latest top40 songs and many other genres.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 7
The momentum on ears are not 270. You are probably referring to the over ear?

Assuming you are referring to the over ears (as the on ears msrp is 230... so id highly suggest you not get the on ear at 270), they have overally better sound quality than the m80, with more balanced sound and more detail.

The m80 on the other hand, have more bass, and a rolled off treble, and sound quite fun and suited for electronic and dubstep. 

For those interested in the m80, i like to give them the idea of SOL Republic Master Tracks as well. Theyre around the same price as the m80, with a smaller soundstage, but with a bit better treble extension which i personally need from the m80.

If you are interested in the on ear(not over ear) of the momentums, i would suggest the m80s over them. But again, 270 sounds like over ears. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 7
  The momentum on ears are not 270. You are probably referring to the over ear?

Assuming you are referring to the over ears (as the on ears msrp is 230... so id highly suggest you not get the on ear at 270), they have overally better sound quality than the m80, with more balanced sound and more detail.

The m80 on the other hand, have more bass, and a rolled off treble, and sound quite fun and suited for electronic and dubstep. 

For those interested in the m80, i like to give them the idea of SOL Republic Master Tracks as well. Theyre around the same price as the m80, with a smaller soundstage, but with a bit better treble extension which i personally need from the m80.

If you are interested in the on ear(not over ear) of the momentums, i would suggest the m80s over them. But again, 270 sounds like over ears. 

Thanks for your reply, I forgot to mention that i live in Romania, and the momentum on ears are priced at 900 LEI here which is roughly 270$.. As for the V-Moda's, they're not available on the market, but i can order them from their website at 150$ + 20$ shipping.
I don't mind paying the extra 100$ as long as i get a better sound quality(and if they're loud enough). But if the moda's sound like the momentum on ears, i don't really feel like paying an extra 100$ just for the design. I could get a Fiio e6 to drive them, thus getting them louder.
I read reviews saying that the MOE sound less boomy, more open and have a better bass and mid-treble than the v-moda's, only losing to them in mid range, and i wanna know if that's real or just some marketing stuff.

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 7
I dont particularly like the bass of momentum as i find them a bit bloated and messy. The m80 do a bit better with bass quantity and quality imo. Feel free to ask around though! I dont see 100 dollars as being justifiable for the momentums though

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks again for your fast reply, I really like how the momentum's look, and i wanna justify that extra 100$.. but i'm slowly moving towards the v-moda's, and being the #1'st rated on-ear hp here, i don't think i'll be dissapointed. As for the SOL Republic Master Tracks, they're not available here, and i can't oderder them from amazon as the shipping + tax is over 80$.. 
Also, can someone tell me if the htc one x is enough to drive the v-moda's or should i buy a small amp, like the Fiio e6?

Looking forward for other opinions on the momentums / other hp recommendations. :D

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Assuming you are referring to the over ears..., they have overally better sound quality than the m80, with more balanced sound and more detail.

+1

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks again for your fast reply, I really like how the momentum's look, and i wanna justify that extra 100$.. but i'm slowly moving towards the v-moda's, and being the #1'st rated on-ear hp here, i don't think i'll be dissapointed. As for the SOL Republic Master Tracks, they're not available here, and i can't oderder them from amazon as the shipping + tax is over 80$.. 
Also, can someone tell me if the htc one x is enough to drive the v-moda's or should i buy a small amp, like the Fiio e6?

Looking forward for other opinions on the momentums / other hp recommendations. :D

The htc should be plenty to drive the m80!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back