Need help choosing between Sennheiser HD 449 and ATH-M50, listen to music such as rock
Dec 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DirectingGnu2

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am a new member of this forums and looking for over ear headphones to buy
Budget: about $200. If you recommend something within budget and available here, please say so.
I have searched the internet and and narrowed my search down to the Sennheiser hd 449 and the ath m50.
I will be connecting them to my iPad 1 and plan to not use an amp. I do not listen to anything like rap, dubstep etc. and I will listen to classical, rock, stuff like Baker street so I need something that sounds balanced and natural, not bass heavy.
Here are my priorities in choosing them:

Sound quality> Comfort>build quality and durability>noise isolation>everything else such as style, coolness, looks(bottom priority)

My first headphones were the original beats studios, were unimpressed by everything except looks and the packaging and did a full refund in under 7 days. Since then, I did find and try the sennheiser hd 449 at a local store for $170 and were impressed. As for the ath m50, I heard mixed reviews and comments and haven't found them anywhere except online.

If you recommend other headphones, please note Im Canadian so make sure there available here and I prefer to buy in-store.

edit: Main reason for making this thread is because although the sennheiser hd 449 and the m50 have been discussed in another thread, I had different needs.

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 2
  Hello, I am a new member of this forums and looking for over ear headphones to buy
I have searched the internet and and narrowed my search down to the Sennheiser hd 449 and the ath m50.
I will be connecting them to my iPad 1 and plan to not use an amp. I do not listen to anything like rap, dubstep etc. and I will listen to classical, rock, stuff like Baker street so I need something that sounds balanced and natural, not bass heavy.
Here are my priorities in choosing them:

Sound quality> Comfort>build quality and durability>noise isolation>everything else such as style, coolness, looks(bottom priority)

My first headphones were the original beats studios, were unimpressed by everything except looks and the packaging and did a full refund in under 7 days. Since then, I did find and try the sennheiser hd 449 at a local store for $170 and were impressed. As for the ath m50, I heard mixed reviews and comments and haven't found them anywhere except online.

If you recommend other headphones, please note Im Canadian so make sure there available here and I prefer to buy in-store.

Hey.. so I'm guessing isolation isn't a priority since you'll be using them mainly at home (iPad) so I would go with the Sennheisers.. They have way better soundstage than the M50s and I believe the bass on the HD 449s will satisfy your needs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back