Need help choosing between new 325i vs Ms-2
Feb 21, 2005 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ODG

Head-Fier
I've been reading how good the new "fat boys" are. How much of a sonic difference is there between the two of them? I'm looking to get one to compliment my HD650's laid back sound. I need something to groove to when listening to hip-hip and trance.

Feb 21, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 27
if you are talking about the old ms-2, its pretty clear. The 325i is really something special, its just that its still too early and in a year people are going to go crazy, there simply isn't enough people out there that have them and are able to supply some time of informative review. Now the ms-2 fatboys are also very special, so thats where it gets real interesting

Feb 21, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 27
Ya this is the same question I am facing and I am sure many others. 325i or MS-2 FBs? I guess a bunch folks are just going to have to jump of the cliff blindly?

Right now I am leaning towards the 325is. After all, if I want neutral, why would I be listening to a pair of Grados?
rs1smile.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by amisdad
I can vouch for the 325i's. They just keep getting better and better.

On the flip side to your quote, I can vouch for my Fatboy MS-2s. They keep getting better and better. The sound is very neutral.

I think that some people may be mislead by another head-fier's quote that said the bass is better than the 325i in another thread. I've never listened to a 325i but I can tell you that the bass in my MS-2 fatboys are NOT boomy. Maybe the other thread was mentioning that the bass is very articulate and a step up.

Feb 21, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 27
We cannot truly gauge the metal Grado/Alessandro performance until a brave soul compares:

classic SR325
new SR325i (gold edition)
classic MS2
new MS2i (fatboy)

HP-1000 and PS-1 Pro would be great for completeness sake.

My current metal Grado/Alessandro rankings:
1. PS-1 Pro
2. HP-1000 (though this headphone is probably technically "better" than the PS-1, I still prefer the PS-1's RS1-flavored presentation)
3. MS2
4. SR325

I hypothesize from the current comments and my preference for the Alessandro MS2 that my new rankings could look like this:

1. PS-1 Pro
2. MS2i
3. SR325i
4. HP-1000
5. MS2 classic
6. SR325 classic

Maybe Billy will be cool and buy the 2 MS2 models (and borrow the HP-1000) for a nice comparison!
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
We cannot truly gauge the metal Grado/Alessandro performance until a brave soul compares:

classic SR325
classic MS2
new MS2i (fatboy)

I politely disagree, and note the following:

1) The thread's topic is: " Need help choosing between new 325i vs Ms-2" - nothing about older 325 variants, nor HP-1000 or PS-1 Pro. Perhaps the request for other comparisons would constitute a separate thread.
2) To remark that a one-person sample would be a true, representative "gauge" seems disingenuous, and at the least flat out bad science.

dragonoops.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart

classic SR325
classic MS2
new MS2i (fatboy)

My current metal Grado/Alessandro rankings:
1. PS-1 Pro
2. HP-1000 (though this headphone is probably technically "better" than the PS-1, I still prefer the PS-1's RS1-flavored presentation)
3. MS2
4. SR325

I hypothesize from the current comments and my preference for the Alessandro MS2 that my new rankings could look like this:

1. PS-1 Pro
2. MS2i
3. SR325i
4. HP-1000
5. MS2 classic
6. SR325 classic

Maybe Billy will be cool and buy the 2 MS2 models (and borrow the HP-1000) for a nice comparison!
icon10.gif

Yes. I also believe Billy Devine will be this brave soul.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJackSkanz
"Two headphones enter! One heaphone leaves!"

Sounds like a hot idea.

We could do a "Pay per view" event!

Let it be known that I could not be happier with my purchase of the Grado 325i's

Feb 22, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 27
you headfi people are always good for a laugh. so scared to try something new! THINK FOR A SECOND HERE

1. historically, allesandro headphones have been slightly more neutral than their grado counterparts
2. allesandro sells MORE THAN HEADPHONES, and thus it makes sense based on their other products that they would want more neutral sounding headphones...
3. they share the SAME enclosure... how does allesandro make the sound different?

this leads one to a couple conclusions

1. ask allesandro why they are different than grados
2. if they use the same driver, or modified 325i drivers, then ORDER THEM

so instead of wanting some idiot with more money than sense to "compare" several grados and have an entire forum base their opinions and form stigmas from, GET THE DAMN THING YOURSELF but RESEARCH it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back