Need help choosing between 3 cans
Apr 14, 2018 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

snootles

Head-Fier
I need to make a final decision between these three cans;

Momentum 2.0 over ear
Meze 99 neo
H6

All are about the same price. I want to use them out and at home. My portable source is an iPhone 6s. At home is a highly modded xcans v3. I listen to all genres but mainly jazz, prog rock, fusion.

I’m finding really difficult to choose. Help is needed!

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 20
If possible you could audition for the 3 headphones first before buying them. If not, it depends on what kind of sound signature you prefer. The H6 has more of a V-shaped signature but it's somewhat bizarre sounding yet fun and enjoyable that is hard to describe, you have to actually try them for yourself. The closest to neutral or flat is the momentum, so go for that one if you like it neutral. Momentum's bass are pretty good but with the treble isn't as airy, though don't misunderstand what I said, it's still there and not too subdued, just lacking in air and sparkle. Heard the neos where not that good when compared to Meze 99 classic so I wouldn't get that. Though I'm not sure since I haven't listened to it.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 20
I’ve been wondering about these three headphones as well and I’m going based on what I’ve read so I have them ordered this way:

Meze 99 Neo: yeah I heard not as balanced as classic but still good. Very good mids, highs and subbass, only negative I’ve heard was mid bass might be a little too boosted. Some claim it bleeds into mids, some claim it doesn’t so probably matter of opinion. They’re $200 on Amazon right now. To me, it looks like they share similar qualities to the MDR 1A.

Momentum M2: I think this one features the typical Sennheiser sound, with a rich bass and mids, but veiled treble. To me they seem like they would be good, but not spectacular.

B&O H6: These look like I would find them pretty uncomfortable, and yes I’ve heard that they have very good bass, but a strange dip in the lower mids that breaks up the transition between bass and mids. I think this is only an issue with the Gen 2 edition. Otherwise, these supposedly sound good.

I’ve been looking closely at these since I got the DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm one month ago. Quality headphone but I’m still a little bothered by its treble peak after a month so I’m thinking about maybe replacing them with a warmer sounding and more portable headphone and these three are on the top of my list.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 20

Momentum 2.0 over ear
Meze 99 neo
H6

All are about the same price. I want to use them out and at home. My portable source is an iPhone 6s. At home is a highly modded xcans v3. I listen to all genres but mainly jazz, prog rock, fusion.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can-modding-sony-mdr-i-certainly-can.875998/

There are ooodles of real not fake reviews on amazon uk & usa has less! Which is a telling anomaly..
PM me with where you live

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 20
Ok I had the first two that you listed..

Sennheiser ... just no.. bass cover mids, not much detail, just nice design..
Meze 99 neo far way better, bit bassy but they are just of another level..but yes they are boosted and they don't sound nearly good as the 99 classic ones.
I had DT 770 pro, the 80 oHm (please NO NO the 32 oHM) sound better than Momentum , they have a quite deep V sound signature,
Did you consider Phidelio L2 or X2? in My opinion they are both a better option than all the ones you listed

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 20
Ok I had the first two that you listed..

Sennheiser ... just no.. bass cover mids, not much detail, just nice design..
Meze 99 neo far way better, bit bassy but they are just of another level..but yes they are boosted and they don't sound nearly good as the 99 classic ones.
I had DT 770 pro, the 80 oHm (please NO NO the 32 oHM) sound better than Momentum , they have a quite deep V sound signature,
Did you consider Phidelio L2 or X2? in My opinion they are both a better option than all the ones you listed
I’d probably like the Neo then. I personally don’t mind a little more bass as long as it isn’t TOO much and doesn’t swallow the mids and muddy the sound.

What didn’t you like about the 32 ohm? With velour pads they’re supposed to sound pretty much like the 250 ohm, just maybe a little less clear. I don’t have an amp and I needed the shorter cable so that’s why I got them. I like them for everything except the treble peak, and sound fine from my phone.

Also, which Momentum did you have, M1 or M2?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 20
I’d probably like the Neo then. I personally don’t mind a little more bass as long as it isn’t TOO much and doesn’t swallow the mids and muddy the sound.

What didn’t you like about the 32 ohm? With velour pads they’re supposed to sound pretty much like the 250 ohm, just maybe a little less clear. I don’t have an amp and I needed the shorter cable so that’s why I got them. I like them for everything except the treble peak, and sound fine from my phone.

Also, which Momentum did you have, M1 or M2?

Well about Meze neo, for my ears, that's exactly the case, bass mess the mids and you lose detail, while it doesnt happen at all with the Meze classic that cost little more , I have them and love them!

I tried all the 3 versions of DT770 pro and owned the 80 oHm ones, 32 ohm makes them very easy to drive so you can really play with any source BUT you lose quality, in my opinion the best compromise it's really in the middle the 80 oHm ones. They have excellent bass, a very nice soundstage for closed ones but extremely recessed mids .

I tried the M2 on - ear, so not the over ear you are aiming, they have a nice sound, they are very stylish, very portable but they don't have enough detail and a very narrow soundstage.

Another excellent option for the price that you could consider are Audio Technica ATH-MX50 very clean bass, with a good punch but still "realistic", very good mids and highs and like DT770 are extremely comfortable

Considering you are going to buy on amazon, just buy the Meze Neo and try them and eventually you can send them back , that's what I did

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 20
Well about Meze neo, for my ears, that's exactly the case, bass mess the mids and you lose detail, while it doesnt happen at all with the Meze classic that cost little more , I have them and love them!

I tried all the 3 versions of DT770 pro and owned the 80 oHm ones, 32 ohm makes them very easy to drive so you can really play with any source BUT you lose quality, in my opinion the best compromise it's really in the middle the 80 oHm ones. They have excellent bass, a very nice soundstage for closed ones but extremely recessed mids .

I tried the M2 on - ear, so not the over ear you are aiming, they have a nice sound, they are very stylish, very portable but they don't have enough detail and a very narrow soundstage.

Another excellent option for the price that you could consider are Audio Technica ATH-MX50 very clean bass, with a good punch but still "realistic", very good mids and highs and like DT770 are extremely comfortable

Considering you are going to buy on amazon, just buy the Meze Neo and try them and eventually you can send them back , that's what I did
Thanks for your input. Actually, the M50x is what I had previously. I had them for about 3 years and I liked them, but they became uncomfortable for me, almost unbearable. Part of the reason I got the 770 was because of how comfortable they looked. It’s strange, because when I got the 770’s I compared them to the M50’s and it was a toss up. Tried comparing them a month later and I was taken aback by how poor the M50x sounded next to the 770. Lack of sub bass impact and I found them muddy sounding. One thing I did always feel about them was that snares sometimes sounded a little muddy/weak. Mids were more or less the same on both. I like the crispness and the airiness of the 770’s treble it’s just that 10k peak! If only that didn’t have to be so huge they’d be just about perfect for me. All my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 20
Well this is the part I like so much of this website, to share and to learn. Now with what new information you wrote here , it's a bit different the way to deal with your search.
I don't know the H6... Meze have very good bass and sub bass. I think that they are the right option for you, forget the momentum and go straight for Meze

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 20

Momentum 2.0 over ear
Meze 99 neo
H6

At what price are they if I may ask? There could be better headphones with similar price range.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #13 of 20
Well this is the part I like so much of this website, to share and to learn. Now with what new information you wrote here , it's a bit different the way to deal with your search.
I don't know the H6... Meze have very good bass and sub bass. I think that they are the right option for you, forget the momentum and go straight for Meze
How are they compared to the M50x? Maybe I’ll roll with them, I’ll give the 770’s maybe one or two more weeks, if I don’t come around I’ll sell them here and hope someone buys them.

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #14 of 20
I see, ever considered the NAD Viso HP50? I'd go for that if the price is acceptable for you since its sound signature is pretty damn neutral and soundstage is one of the best for closed-backs at that price point, they look pretty rad too.

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 20
How are they compared to the M50x? Maybe I’ll roll with them, I’ll give the 770’s maybe one or two more weeks, if I don’t come around I’ll sell them here and hope someone buys them.
ATH M50 are on more neutral, slightly bassy, Meze are not neutral, are very bassy with better highs and they are smaller so less comfortable to wear
Considering what you had and have I tend to think again that you would love Philips Fidelio X2, same sound signature of 770 BUT with an excellent soundstage, weaker but more clear bass, exceptionally comfortable to wear and so much better build quality .
I had them and I still feel stupid to have sold them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back