Need help choosing best full headset+mic combo for Gaming and some music of assorted genres under $500
Nov 8, 2013 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Maudley

New Head-Fier
I'm no audiophile, but I want to upgrade to the best headset I can buy(or at least the best one under $500). Judging from the other threads I've seen, it looks like my best bet is the beyerdynamic mmx- 300. Currently, I'm using Turtle Beach X12s, so there is a lot of potential for improvement. One of the main things I want in my headset is a mic that hardly picks up background noise. This is quite important, as my dogs bark very loudly. Does the mmx-300 mic filter out background noise well? Also, what sort of surround sound is it, and would I need a mixamp? If it turns out my sound card isn't good enough or doesn't exist (can't check right now), what would be the cheapest option? And finally, is it the just the best headset for what I want, or is there something better? I will likely use it for gaming, some music, and possibly recording for Youtube.
I'm sorry if I'm asking any wrong questions or anything. I'm very new here, and want to ensure I'm getting the best before I spend $400. Thank you for your time.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Assuming this is for a windows PC and FPS gaming.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box) on sale at Newegg for $65 (really good value).

Sennheiser HD558 headphones, $130
or
AKG K612 Pro headphones $160

Any add on microphone you like.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 8
  Assuming this is for a windows PC and FPS gaming.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box) on sale at Newegg for $65 (really good value).

Sennheiser HD558 headphones, $130
or
AKG K612 Pro headphones $160

Any add on microphone you like.

Yes it's windows, but I am looking for the best under $500. I would prefer to get a headset with a mic, but if you can find a combination of equal quality for less, I might try it.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 8
I think that either just the MMX-300 and an external amp is good for $500

But if you want a better mic get the dt 770 pro and the Audio Technica AT-2020usb+. The total for the mic / headset combo is $510

The price for the MMX-300 and amp (Schiit is good) is $500 flat.

Hope this help! :3

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Most of the time, you get better quality and value buying headphones + mic separately a la what @PurpleAngel said. Another option to consider would be Sennheiser's G4ME headsets.

I use Q701's (similar to the K612) and an AntLion ModMic, all paired with a soundcard. HD558's have incredible value as well, and two other options would be the Phillips X1 for a bassier sound, or Beyerdynamic DT-990's 250ohm for a more engaging one with brighter treble and a powerful bass. All of these options are open backed and will leak some sound in and out.

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 8
  I'm no audiophile, but I want to upgrade to the best headset I can buy(or at least the best one under $500). Judging from the other threads I've seen, it looks like my best bet is the beyerdynamic mmx- 300. Currently, I'm using Turtle Beach X12s, so there is a lot of potential for improvement. One of the main things I want in my headset is a mic that hardly picks up background noise. This is quite important, as my dogs bark very loudly. Does the mmx-300 mic filter out background noise well? Also, what sort of surround sound is it, and would I need a mixamp? If it turns out my sound card isn't good enough or doesn't exist (can't check right now), what would be the cheapest option? And finally, is it the just the best headset for what I want, or is there something better? I will likely use it for gaming, some music, and possibly recording for Youtube.
I'm sorry if I'm asking any wrong questions or anything. I'm very new here, and want to ensure I'm getting the best before I spend $400. Thank you for your time.

Mix-amps are great for gaming consoles, sounds card are better for Win PCs.
The Beyer MMX 300 ($310) appears to be a Beyer DT770 Premium 32-Ohm headphone, with a mic added on.
You could get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm ($160-$170), which would leave you around $140 for any add-on mic you like.

The Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $60), comes with a CS4398 DAC chip :) and Dolby Headphone 7.1 surround sound.
You could get a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier ($99), to plug into the Xonar DX and headphones to plug into the Magni.
This would give you a volume knob right at your finger tips.

So DT770+DX+Magni is around $350, which leaves you with $150 leftover for any add-on mic you like.
I'm guess you can get a nice add-on mic for under $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back