Need help choosing an acoustic guitar
Sep 28, 2005 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SilverCans

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of either a Takamine GS-330s (from guitar center ~$265) or a Washburn WD18SW (on ebay for ~$200). I'm a beginner with a $300 budget. What do you recommend (even if not from the two I mentioned about). Bottom line, I want something that sounds great and can will last me.

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 18
man i miss the days where i had so much free time that i just drove to small towns and looked in their little curio shops. That's how I found my Guild F-30 for 300 bucks, it's from 1965 and it ROCKS. It looks like Willie Nelson took a shine to it, but it sounds amazing. These days you would call it Grand Auditorium size, it's the only guitar I'm not afraid to leave out so the kid might smash it or the dog might paw it. I'm going to have to take a pic of it someday and post it up, it's an old battleaxe.

If you wanna buy new, get a Taylor Big Baby. But if you can find a great deal used, go for it. I see really cheap Guild D-4 dreadnaughts on Ebay all the time, and those are great for under 300.

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 18
I'd go in to the store and ask for something with a solid top. You can get them to play for you if you like, to check out the different sounds, find something to your taste. Although the strings may be dead so bear that in mind.

Sep 28, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 18
Epiphone makes a solid wood guitar called PR350SR/SM. THe SR is solid rosewood body and the SM is solid mohogany. You can find it for ~ $300 if you shop right.

There is no better value in acoustic guitars. Period. It sounds and plays like a guitar worth 5 times its sticker. Trust me.

Look up some reviews on the net.

EDIT: This guitar features a solid top as well.

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 18
I used to recommend guitars but production from the big names can be so inconsistent that I recommend just playing them until you find the one.
Hard to do over the internet but that's not a good way to buy a guitar anyway. Amp=OK, Guitar=No.
Solid top will make a big difference. Sides and back less so but are "nice to have"s more than "gotta have"s.
CPW

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 18
I had a Martin long ago and more reciently a Gibson Dred. which got distroyed. I did not want to invest that much money into something I hardly have time for any more. But I still wanted one and a good one. What I ended up with was a Alverez AD80. Solid spruce top with rosewood sides and back and lotsa white pearl inlay. It has killer looks. The sound is as good as the Martin and Gibson, no lie. And the neck is as thin as an electric with low fast action. I paid $265 new for mine. I think they have gone up to $350 now. The AD60 sounds as good and is solid spruce on top, w/mahogany sides and back. It has the same neck and playing abilities as the AD80. No pearl inlay around the parimeter as the AD80 has. Just around the sound hole.
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm gonna have to reiterrate - please read that thread I linked above before making any decisions... plenty of much more obscure cheapies that are fantastic. The people in the discussion are heavyweights in the acoustic guitar arena.

That said out of all the guitars mentioned in this thread - the Seagull, hands down.

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 18
I agree with Jahn on the Big Baby Taylor. It's probably the least expensive American made guitar you can get. It is very easy to play, and I love the sound. However, a lot of people don't like it because it has a smaller body so the sound isn't as full. I would try it out if you can. I usually recommend the big baby to my friends.

Another suggestion is the washburn d100
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/515366/

It's cheap because it's discontinued, but it's a great value. I recently picked one up as a spare. It's a solid, not laminate, mahogany guitar, which is good. The tuners are pretty decent, not like the ones you normally find on beginner guitars.

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 18
honestly guitars are exactly like audio equipment/headphones. you can read all the reviews you want, but you wont know much until you actually go play them. Since you're on head-fi i assume you have a pretty good ear. just go to guitar shops and try out every guitar in your range, it doesn't take much. A single hard strum on the open strings can tell me if the guitar is good or not. be sure not to hold it tightly to your body because this can dampen it. Listen for resonance, bass, mids, highs, sustain, buzzing etc. I perfer jumbo sizes cause they get the bass right. When deciding my guitar, which is a very cheap alvarez model, I picked it out amoung a LOT of very expensive guitars. I went in prepared to spend 4-500 dollars, and it turns out I found a gem for 180 that beat them all, and was 80% of the 800-1000 dollar guitars.

edit* one more thing, guitars are very unique, just because you played a very nice sounding yamaha 300xx49b at guitar central for $400, doesnt mean that the same yamaha musicians friend has on sale for $300 sounds/plays the same. Each guitar has it's own characteristic! Find a good one and don't lose track of it in your shopping!

Sep 29, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #14 of 18
Do not ever buy a guitar until you have played IT, the specific one you buy, and, even then, guitars are a far more expensive hobby than audio can ever be. Sorry about your wallet, unless you are lucky enough to not be good enough to never be satisfied with just one... or one kind... or one sound... or needing a new / different sound, or seeing an old Fender / Gibson / Martin / Gretch / Moserite / Silvertone / Alembic (my faves / Guild / PRS / Epiphone / Rickenbacker. Sound familiar?

Just set your budget, look at the guitars in your range, tell the salesman to piss off, and let your feeling be your guide. There are many guitar qualities to be seduced by, but you'll know the right one when you play it. And, if not, you'll be like everyone else that has ever owned guitars - you can never just own one. And, don't stress about getting the best one / deal / style, etc. Do what you want and feel, knowing there are tradeoffs with each piece, and every guitar player has an agenda (I base that on having sold over 20,000 since 1977 - mostly to dealers).

Mine (One moment in time - all true vintage - pre-1970):

http://home.swbell.net/pabbi/guitars.jpg

Buying a guitar is not a rational process - it's for something to enjoy (unless it's an investment, which usually requires deep, and deeper pockets).

Also, watch your local usenet forsale group (I post some things on occasion in dfw.forsale or dfw.music), the newspaper, or the local bargain sheet. The minute the retail guitar leaves the store, the street price is about 65-75% or what you just paid for it - so get on the buying end of that deal, and avoid the sales tax. Used guitars can also be had in pawn shops, but just make sure you know the price of something, make sure it plays well, and bargain, bargain, bargain.

Finally, I DO buy (and sell) guitars on eBay (Ok, only certain vintage pieces and Alembics) - it is an excellent barometer of said street price, so if the guitar is a generic Washburn / Takamine, that may be an avenue as well. At least you'll know what the actual range is.

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
I'm gonna have to reiterrate - please read that thread I linked above before making any decisions... plenty of much more obscure cheapies that are fantastic. The people in the discussion are heavyweights in the acoustic guitar arena.

That said out of all the guitars mentioned in this thread - the Seagull, hands down.

Another vote for the Seagull, one of the best values out for the $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back